Re: %#@*!@* grumble, back to installing "32-bit" apps from scratch

In article <1iyhh9o.11afyit1jelnb5N%dempson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David
Empson <dempson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

See David Empon's posts for the reasons why.

Who? :-)

Hi again David,

Sorry if I got it wrong about 64-bit stuff.

All this is very confusing for a non-geek,
as are the overwhelming number of Mac users,
me included.

Please do not feel obliged to explain any of
this, as it is my problem, not yours.

Heck, I figure I am ahead of the game if I can
even remember my own name when I wake up
in the morning.

That said, here are the things that (still)
puzzle me about 64-bit stuff, in no particular
order of importance.

All these points relate to speed-of-execution,
NOT the ability to access huge amounts of ram.

1) (this is going to be a long one) - - -
I have a 32-bit app, everyone agrees it is a
32-bit app, it runs fine on a Vista 32-bit OS.

If I try running that 32-bit app on a Vista
64-bit OS it refuses to run. That makes sense.

HOWEVER, I have a Mac 64-bit OS, but I informed
that all my Mac apps are really 32-bit apps.
THAT makes no sense at all.

What earthly good is a Mac 64-bit OS
(as regards speed-of-execution) if there are no
64-bit apps available to run on it?

2) If the Mac 64-bit OS is so useless, is Apple only
using it to access more than 3GB of ram?

3) If there were "true 64-bit" applications for Mac,
could they run faster than present 32-bit apps run?

25 years from now, if Apple is still in business, we
might have 128-bit Macs. To my simplistic way of
thinking, the wider the data path, the faster the speed.

If we move our data through a 32-bit soda straw, it is
going to take a long time to move vast quantities of
data to the CPU for processing.

This will slow the speed-of-execution of the app.

Mark-

  • Re: First thoughts on Lion
    ... the Mac" didn't mean "focus on the Mac again". ... Apple just doesn't care about the Mac anymore. ... Windows has nothing like the app selection on iOS. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Cost of ownership: MV vs. SQL Server
    ... >>app server independent, etc, but you cannot be all of those at once. ... > mention that .NET seems to satisfy all of the business requirements ... (both Macs & Linux), so my criteria are different from yours. ... > and this market has never expressed a real need for Mac, ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: First thoughts on Lion
    ... the Mac" didn't mean "focus on the Mac again". ... Apple just doesn't care about the Mac anymore. ... Windows has nothing like the app selection on iOS. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: First thoughts on Lion
    ... Apple just doesn't care about the Mac anymore. ... You appear to be implicitly claiming that a majority of app sales on iOS ... Expose is a global mode. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Apple is deprecating Java
    ... With integration into Mac OS X.s- ... You can run plan 9 for all Apple cares. ... and most users will run the default OS install. ... I see currently no reason why a Lisp app can't be sold there. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)