Re: Does WEP key give away access to my data to another computer?

Mike Rosenberg wrote:
Robert Montgomery <info-block@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I tell my WEP key to a friend at my place who has a PC , would that
give him access to the files on my Mac?

No, that would let him use your internet wirelessly. To give someone
access to files on your Mac, you have to turn on file sharing and give
them your user password, too. Depending on which Mac OS version you're
running, you'd separately have to enable Windows sharing.

So I don't have to worry about other people in nearby apartments freeloading off of my Internet signal that I'm paying for?

Robert

  • Re: Pages = old ClarisWorks for dummies?
    ... But that's apparently what the Ethernet connection with the Airport ... Recent AirPort models no longer support AppleTalk over Ethernet. ... Mac OS X hasn't supported file sharing over AppleTalk since 10.4 ... AppleTalk, including file sharing, so you could easily connect either ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: Connecting Computers
    ... Mac Extended format it did show up for the iBook but XP couldn't see ... That's due to limitations of Mac OS X's built-in File Sharing. ... File Sharing" for other Mac clients), only Mac OS Standard or Extended ... If the drive was reformatted using Mac OS Extended format, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.misc)
  • Re: 20 Years Later: What storage options for IIgs?
    ... we did some basic file transferring between a IIGS and a Mac ... the OS X Finder won't mount a ProDOS formatted disk. ... Anyway, I decided to try the networking route, using the Cayman GatorBox CS. ... "Mac OS X 10.4 and later don't support Personal File Sharing ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • Re: Backing up to a Drobo
    ... sparse bundle on the Mac HD and copy it to the Drobo via file sharing. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.misc)
  • Re: Connecting Computers
    ... he got a 250g) it was formatted Mac Extended. ... hope future versions of Mac OSX will show USB or Firewire drives in the ... File Sharing" for other Mac clients), only Mac OS Standard or Extended ... If the drive was reformatted using Mac OS Extended format, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.misc)