Re: USB wiring of speakers

In article <acQDl.27231$v8.17886@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
E Z Peaces <cash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

researcher wrote:
Can I put USB plugs on a pair of Bose speakers and plug them into my
Apple G5 computer.

I haven't heard of USB with analog audio. I plug an iMic d/a converter
into my Mac's USB. That changes digital to analog audio. I use stereo
patch cords to take the audio from the iMic to an amplifier, which
powers my speakers.

Back around '01/'02 or thereabouts, Microsoft put out what they called
the "DSS-80" sound system.

Inputs were USB and stereo 1/8th inch jacks. I used them with my
PowerMac 7500 for years by simply jumping from the stereo out on the
machine to the stereo in on the speakers. Then I switched up to my G4
with a big cat. The DSS has been connected to the G4 with a USB cable
ever since - the stereo input has been empty since a week or so after
moving up to the G4 and changing to the USB hookup.

No D/A converters, no fancy anything, just "plug in the USB cable on
each end and it works". (Er, well, before it started working, I had to
choose the speaker system - which was correctly and fully identified by
a "no extras" install of X 10.3 - as the output device in the sound tab
of system preferences)

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me

  • Re: USB wiring of speakers
    ... I haven't heard of USB with analog audio. ... I plug an iMic d/a converter into my Mac's USB. ... I use stereo patch cords to take the audio from the iMic to an amplifier, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Laptop for music only
    ... My requirements for such a dedicated laptop are modest: ... Also, the only stumbling block to the low price is possibly USB 2.0, ... The best ways would be to output digitally via S/PDIF to a stereo system, or headphones with a quality audio interface. ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Re: Bluetooth audio UI
    ... Bluetooth being flavour of the month. ... front USB port and Bluetooth. ... disabled while it is plugged into the stereo, but I can unplug it, ... using an app that doesn't support Airplay? ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: USB on stereo question
    ... some new stereos come with a USB connection. ... MP3 player, so you can play the songs from your MP3 player on your ... Is the USB to connect your computer to your stereo, ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Hard-drive based "cd multichanger"
    ... I have a box of tricks that makes my Mazda's factory stereo think my iPod ... some the Headunits that take USB Pen drives ... I have a set top box that plays divx and MP3 off a USB slot. ...
    (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)