Re: 10.4 on 400MHz

Mr. Strat <rag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <wUxXk.1392$us6.195@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Wes Groleau
<groleau+news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The latter disqualifies my 400MHz G3 iMac, but I still
wonder whether anyone has any empirical knowledge of
how 10.4 would run on this machine (768 Meg RAM, lots
of disk).

It wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

Why would that be? OS X versions got faster up to 10.4 Tiger. Leopard
slightly slower on PPC but presumably faster still on Intel.

--
Adrian

  • Re: 10.4 on 400MHz
    ... In article, Wes Groleau ... how 10.4 would run on this machine (768 Meg RAM, ... of disk). ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: OT/drift: when is a RAMdisk an appropriate solution
    ... include the "ram disk" component in your project. ... Sometimes, a physical RAM ... only to wind up going directly to regular old ordinary memory, ... testing the file system software. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: teaching a child - console or GUI
    ... >> possible to set up some pretty fancy 'accelerators' ... disk under a file name that is ... ... or are they really a bunch of pointers ... You mean that you had to be convinced of the 'CD in RAM' approach? ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)
  • Re: Future Linux on Bistable Storage
    ... One major difference between disk and RAM is the tradeoffs between size, ... resume the system -- except perhaps for I/O initialisation. ... Writing all of RAM to disk burns more power than powering RAM for several ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Hard disk speed - Maybe OT
    ... This will of course all be disk cache. ... The current capture uses ... I dont think RAM will help all that much. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)