Re: Do you give admin privileges to your day-to-day acct?

Jolly Roger wrote:
On 2007-05-21 15:38:00 -0500, Darrell Greenwood
1, I have seen logs of dictionary attacks running for hours on my port
22 trying different passwords for user "admin" and I do use ssh,

All you need to do to close that hole is secure your SSH daemon through /etc/sshd_conf.

I'm perhaps a bit more paranoid. If I on a single occasion
saw such an attack, I would set a watch to block all IP traffic
to or from any location that failed five attempts.

I'm not likely to see such an attempt, because I only allow
connections to be established from places that I think I might
try from.

--
Wes Groleau

Change is inevitable. We need to learn that "inevitable" is
neither a synonym for "good" nor for "bad."
-- WWG
.