Re: Do you give admin privileges to your day-to-day acct?

Jolly Roger wrote:
On 2007-05-21 15:38:00 -0500, Darrell Greenwood
1, I have seen logs of dictionary attacks running for hours on my port
22 trying different passwords for user "admin" and I do use ssh,

All you need to do to close that hole is secure your SSH daemon through /etc/sshd_conf.

I'm perhaps a bit more paranoid. If I on a single occasion
saw such an attack, I would set a watch to block all IP traffic
to or from any location that failed five attempts.

I'm not likely to see such an attempt, because I only allow
connections to be established from places that I think I might
try from.

--
Wes Groleau

Change is inevitable. We need to learn that "inevitable" is
neither a synonym for "good" nor for "bad."
-- WWG

  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Why Vulnerability Databases cant do everything
    ... best to relegate programming to a ... is a big difference between these two views of information security. ... but not nearly as important as designing secure systems. ... My favorite example to illustrate this point - ssh. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Cmon In: RestrictAnonymous=0
    ... account names and the renamed account (and lookupaccountname-api for getting ... renamed admin. ... huge hole which gives you remote root? ... < secure Windows from abuse via the Internet. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Questions on secure remote access to Fedora Core 2
    ... I am somewhat new to Internet security solutions in general and Linux ... I am setting up a server with Fedora Core 2 (there are specific reasons ... What is the most secure method I can use to give these individuals access ... under ssh. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: How Can I use ssh in my perl code
    ... ssh is a secure replacement for rlogin/telnet. ... database connections. ... perl script through ssh. ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: 9.1 Install: Holes in Security in Default install
    ... ssh is better known as the "secure shell". ... instead of "-a" to see network addresses and port numbers rather than ... > With Mandrake I was given the option at install to close all these ports, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)