Re: What are these ._something files???

John N. Alegre <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When I do work from the bash shell(OS X 10.4.5), I often find files in
directories that are ._something where there is a file called something.

What is going on here? Anybody have a clue? Naturally they are hidden and
never show up in finder windows.

This is the method used by Mac OS X to store the resource fork and
Mac-specific file system metadata (such as the file type and creator
codes) on foreign file systems.

On HFS or HFS+ volumes, this information is supported directly by the
file system, and can be stored in the directory or a second fork of the
same file. Unix shells and other utilities will see this as a single
file, but it actually has two data streams (data fork and resource fork)
and most Unix tools will only access the data fork.

On other file systems, e.g. UFS, FAT32, or on network file servers other
than Mac File Sharing (AFP), the file system has nowhere to keep this
extra information, so Mac OS X compromises by saving it in a file named
as ._something (for a file called something). The leading dot should
mean it is normally hidden in directory listings on Unix shells
(including the Mac OS X command line) unless you use an option in the ls
command to show hidden files.

--
David Empson
dempson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Little "shadow" versions of .doc files transferred to Windows??
    ... which is the most common file system on Macs. ... fork and the "Data" fork. ... In Windows XP, the pair should appear and be managed as only one file, as ... they do on the Mac. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: ._ files on remote linux nas
    ... work just with Leopard or other Mac system, ... and the resource fork. ... What are the files you are copying to the NAS, ... so it only copies the data fork. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Mac data forks
    ... > Is information stored in the data fork that hold which application has the ... The data fork contains the document itself ... You can open the resource fork with "resedit" on a Mac ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.macintosh)
  • [NEWS] Mac OS X HFS+ Multiple Vulnerabilities (__Fork)
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Hierarchical File System Plusis "a file system developed by Apple ... HFS+ allow servers such as Apache to retrieve the source of a PHP or JSP ... referred to as the "data fork" and "resource fork". ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: book recommendation: Mac as Unix
    ... I'm a total newbie to the Mac. ... I've been using Unix and Linux ... If you want to launch Terminal.app from the command line, ... An alias is a Mac OS X file system specific abstraction. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)