Tom Stiller <tomstiller@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <1133881250.813921.274160@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> narniafan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Placebo wrote:

> > > It's probably fine to do this, actually, since you can network two Macs
> > > together over FireWire.
> >
> > Is networking easy to do? Maybe that can be my workaround. I'm only
> > using
> > target disk mode because that is all I know.
> >

> Easy enough. On each computer:
> 1. Create a new location and specify "Built-in FireWire" as the network
> device.
> 2. Select "Manually" for "Configure IPv4".
> 3. Specify IP addresses for each machine. For example, I use
> 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2.
> 4. Specify the subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
> 5. Click "Apply Now".

Steps 2-4 should not be necessary. If you leave it set to "Using DHCP",
then Mac OS X will use self-assigned IP addresses in the 169.254.x.y
range, and the two Macs will work together nicely.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

  • Re: Why Corporate America uses PCs and not Mac
    ... it across a hard wired network, ... As long as you don't have Macs on a wireless network, ... Consumer field (eg, outside of Enterprise), as this would limit MS's ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Really Need Network Help!
    ... AirPort went hooey and some Macs (there are six on the defunct network ... It's connected to the cable modem via an Ethernet cable. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Target disk mode not reciprocal?
    ... >>> idea to connect to Macs via FireWire if they are both booted into the OS. ... >> It's probably fine to do this, actually, since you can network two Macs ... Specify IP addresses for each machine. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Layer 2 (stealth) firewalls - PBR?
    ... Does running a stealth firewall remove the need for PBR? ... determines traffic flow between them based on destination MACs... ... and both of them are on the same IP network and go to ... But, through laborious insanity, you manage to install whatever ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Macs in the enterprise? They must all be "Maccies". :-)
    ... of Mac lovers among the networking company's 6,100 employees. ... use Macs instead of the standard-issue PCs that run Microsoft's ... should be respected when it comes to productivity. ... if they are compatible with the network - no problem. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)