Login and logout slowerthan molasses in 10.3.9

For about a week, Finder takes two minutes or longer
to login, and at least one minute to log out.

I heard that disabling fonts the wrong way can cause this,
but I have not done so.  I can't think of any reason any
of the things I've tinkered with could cause this.

What other reasons are there that make Finder have trouble
getting started or terminated?

Once the rainbow pizza finally goes away, there is no sign
of any other malfunction--everything runs great.

--
Wes Groleau

   If you put garbage in a computer nothing comes out but garbage.
   But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine,
   is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it.
.