Re: Help with a Mac Plus

In article <260820051828554194%helpful_harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Helpful
Harry <helpful_harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This trick will only work on the Apple floppy drives. If you have a USB
> > floppy drive, you're out of luck.
>
> I *think* that's only because the new USB drives don't (usually) work
> with DD disks because they aren't made any more.

the 800k (and 400k) floppies used a variable speed drive which only
apple used. macs have supported 1.4m floppies since 1987, so there is
no real reason for a third party to bother getting the variable speed
mechanism to support 800k discs.

> The sellotape trick above worked in the old days on various computers:
> Mac, Amiga, PC, Atari ST, etc. :o)

this did not work all that well. the magnetic properties of the
400/800s and the 1.4s were different and fooling it with tape was
*very* unreliable.

  • Re: Dell Desktop PC Selection
    ... A Gateway, and my Dell. ... an inexpensive USB floppy drive would seem to be the only choice. ... If you have an inexpensive router between your computers and the internet, you can enable file sharing and easily access files on one computer from the other. ... The USB floppy drives are slim notebook floppy drives put into a USB enclosure. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: OT: External floppy drive?
    ... have USB ports and there are fairly cheap external floppy drives around. ... If it's USB 1.0 old, ... an update to an antiviral programme. ... No programmes other than the emergency boot disk. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: _Recovering_ancient_sounds_(was_Re:_A_Photography_of_Mozart=B4s_Widow)
    ... Wayne Throop wrote: ... I suppose you might *want* it built in for some reason. ... Do you expect your next computer to lack USB? ... I only have 3.5 in floppy drives in my machines because I've had the old drives around. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.science)
  • Re: No drive A:
    ... First I tried getting a USB external floppy. ... install servers or any versions of Windows older than Vista and Longhorn ... Not all USB floppy drives ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Win 2000 Installation Quandry.
    ... Do USB connected 3.5" Floppy drives tend to work? ... >boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. ... four install disks ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment)