Re: Dual monitors - what do I need?

In article <11g315e5o9mggce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"G.T." <getnews1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Davoud" <star@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Ricky:
> > > Will Tiger allow me to run one application in one monitor and another
> > > application in the other like Windows 2000 does?
> >
> > It is to laugh! Windows 2000 allows you to run one application on one
> > monitor and another application on the other like the Mac does. Mac
> > users had the ability to use multiple displays /years/ before Windows
> > users did. I remember my Windows-using buddies claiming that I was
> > using a second Mac hidden someplace -- there was no way a computer
> > could have two displays.
> >
> > Your two displays will act as one large desktop and you can put
> > anything you want anywhere you want on your two displays.
>
> But aren't you limited by the fact that the menu bar stays on one screen?
> With Windows, many X window managers, and other GUIs you have the menu bar
> on the app window so your application can be as far from your main display
> as you like and you can still control your app.
>

> > I tried running a second display on my Windows laptop. It worked OK,
> > but I gave it up because I couldn't stand stand seeing that toad-ugly
> > interface twice.
> >

> As little as I like 2000/XP I must defend it here. There are more config
> options with dual monitors than on OS X.
>
> Greg

Windows users -still- do a double-take over a dual monitor extended
desktop. I use a Tibook in my office with the Dell LCD as an extended
desktop. The first time I drag a window across monitors many people
actually gasp, and often remark that they find it
disorienting....they've obviously never seen it before.

I admit that I wish I could replicate the menu bar on both monitors.
However, there are very utils that make the menu bar popup under the
mouse...deja menu is one.

  • Re: OT: my new PC rocks!!
    ... I'm alright with this because I kept the big monitor box (because it's ... that Windows may recognise "plug and play" monitors better...but, ... X-Windows really needs one simple-ish addition (which was originally ... Red Hat use "MD5 sums" on all of the ISO images for you to ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Monitor problem
    ... monitor just two years old. ... A week ago I switched on and immediately noticed a black bar down ... Is the line there if you do not boot into Windows XP and go into the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Monitor problem
    ... monitor just two years old. ... A week ago I switched on and immediately noticed a black bar down ... Is the line there if you do not boot into Windows XP and go into the System BIOS? ... Is the line there if you boot with something like a bootable *nix CD or Ultimate Boot CD for Windows or some other BartPE type CD -- or even the Windows XP Safe Mode? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • [kde] Re: How do I remove the "new activity" item from the desktop?
    ... I can't see the point of having any icons on the desktop. ... The bottom monitor is my "work" monitor, where I often run dual half- ... maxed windows all accessible, clicking in say akregator to open a browser ... in the screenshot, the only plasmoid on it is the comic strip plasmoid, ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: OT Media Center PC
    ... digital video recorder, digitize old video tapes, and play movies. ... install my Hauppauge WinTV card, get a video card that will play on the ... My WinTV board was for Windows Media Center ... one monitor and TV on the other monitor, or does it just work as using the ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)