Re: Web design question

Sander Tekelenburg <user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Troubled Tony <tt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Sander Tekelenburg <user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Nonsense. It's prefectly fine to improve on a site through whatever is
> > > appropriate in a particular case, be it CSS, javascript, Flash, Java,
> > > QT, anything.
> >
> > Whoah, now CSS is in the list?
>
> Of course it is. CSS, like javascript, Flash, QT, etc. is only icing.
> It's the *content* that is the cake.

> > So you're talking OLD HTML. Really old.
>
> I'm talking HTML 4.01 of course. But you seem to prefer to read what you
> expect to read, so it probably doesn't matter much what someone says.

Then you want me to use the deprecated FONT tag?

Oh, wait, that would be "icing", like CSS, because it's not *content*.

So, you don't want the deprecated FONT tag used?

Wow, that's going to look like poop.

You can't have it both ways, arguing in whatever direction is handy.

What's your position on using the FONT tag?

I think it's ugly, and it's so devo.

You're saying I can't validate my source at XHTML 1.0

Screw that nonsense. Upgrade your browsers, lusers.
CSS has been out for years.

Let me guess, you advocate "web safe" colors too.

> >You can't see what you've got pre-release until it's all coded.
>
> No idea what you mean. I can't think of a situation where you can see
> somethi,ng that hasn't been finished yet.

You said to write the HTML first, then add the "icing".
But in the real world, it's still going to get edited...

> > Then one can expect to make a series of edits...
> > how are you going to test the HTML-only version at that point?
>
> Eh? Simply with a user-agent that allows switching off whatever non-HTML
> the site contains (CSS, javascript, plug-ins). Dead simple.

WTF???

Can you turn CSS off in the common browsers one might test with?

I don't see it in FireFox.

Wait, again you're saying I can't write XHTML source!
(Assumes you use the FONT tag.)

Fuhgeddaboutit.

  • Re: C/C++ Programmin Tutorials
    ... >> Yes, along with the misbegotten FONT tag and the like, Cascading ... Few of the available ones give you particularly good control over CSS. ... My wife's a rhetorician, and she now works ... the vast majority of applications of HTML CSS and the FONT ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Is this Ridiculous? Or not?--HTML Tables
    ... Should I do these tables in CSS or keep them in XHTML? ... The real problem with such an HTML table is that it has been generated ... I have been working on a utility to clean up such nonsense and also ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets)
  • Re: Text overlapping
    ... I went to a site I built and used no hand coding and it did not resize when ... own coding inserting with the code fragment, I'm confusing the browser. ... >> fragment or CSS style that can be added to ignore the browser settings? ... I don't recall ever seeing the old-fashioned font tag ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: Text overlapping
    ... I did hand code the text in an effort to stop the problem. ... but have same problem if someone changes the font in the browser. ... >> fragment or CSS style that can be added to ignore the browser settings? ... I don't recall ever seeing the old-fashioned font tag ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: C/C++ Programmin Tutorials
    ... The only disconnect here may be that we disagree ... that CSS is a Good Thing/Bad Thing. ... of a tool condemns the tool. ... > type size with the FONT tag, ...
    (comp.programming)