IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device

I'm sometimes having trouble to connect my Canon digital camera to my
Powermac G4. In the console log I get the following message:

The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been
plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 1 of hub @ location:
0x52000000)

Usually I have to restart my Mac to have the camera show up in iPhoto. I
sometimes get the same errors when trying to sync my Handspring Visor,
but then usually after 4 or 5 retries of the Hotsync operation I do get
a connection.

I've googled around and have seen that other people have similar
problems (with different USB gear), but I haven't found any solution
yet.

Anyone familiar with this problem, or, even better, know of a solution?

Peter.
.