Re: IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device

In article <024d4ef6$0$23408$c3e8da3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Warren Oates <warren.oates@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <prdewaal-695CA6.10015610102007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Peter de Waal <prdewaal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm sometimes having trouble to connect my Canon digital camera to my
Powermac G4. In the console log I get the following message:

The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been
plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 1 of hub @ location:
0x52000000)

Usually I have to restart my Mac to have the camera show up in iPhoto. I
sometimes get the same errors when trying to sync my Handspring Visor,
but then usually after 4 or 5 retries of the Hotsync operation I do get
a connection.

I've googled around and have seen that other people have similar
problems (with different USB gear), but I haven't found any solution
yet.

Anyone familiar with this problem, or, even better, know of a solution?

Is this with the standard USB port that comes with your G4, or is is a
USB2 card that you've added? I got this exact error when my Iogear USB2
card stopped working; I had to go back to the USB 1, which is slower but
still works. I haven't got arround to replacing the USB2 card yet.

The errors with the Canon digital camera happen when it is connected to
a USB2 card that I've added in one of the PCI slots. If I then connect
it to one of the standard USB1 ports, it communicates without any
problems. Other devices on the USB2 card (a bluetooth adapter and a
Logitech webcam work without errors.

The Handspring Visor is connected to an USB1 port.

Peter.

  • Re: what wireless card to go with Netgear DG834G router
    ... I have used countless brands of wireless clients (USB, ... brand which was even slightly reluctant to make a very solid connection. ... I put a usb2 card in, and the usb device immediatly connected at 54mb with a ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: why ist so complex to install USB printer?
    ... I've a USB2 card and it's even worse, some devices are fine on the card, ... I think USB was designed by Microcraps redeployed Plug And Pray ... of powered hubs and direct connection to find the ...
    (comp.periphs.printers)
  • Re: BUFFALO WLI-U2-KG54-AI USB adaptor stopped being recognized
    ... about the USB ports as such, but it is clear from the way the strip down is ... requirements of the later USB devices. ... I've seen that with trying to power 2.5" laptop drives from the USB ... original idea of obtaining a USB2 card may be the way forward. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: USB and XP
    ... Buy a USB2 card and put it in to your PC. ... It means you have USB1.1 ports which are slower then USB2 but with a printer ... > This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 ... > What does that mean and how can I make USB faster? ...
  • Re: usb flash key
    ... I am thinking of getting a USB2 card and have these USB 1.1 devices: ... >> Windows XP comes with native drivers for such devices. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)