Re: Questions about Intel Macs

Ben <yorabbit@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> To me it seems quite clear what Apple itself writes about Rosetta
> on its developer site...
>
> Rosetta does not run the following:
>
> Applications built for any version of the Mac OS earlier than Mac OS X
> —that means Mac OS 9, Mac OS 8, Mac OS 7, and so forth
> The Classic environment
> Code written specifically for AltiVec
> Code that inserts preferences in the System Preferences pane
> Applications that require a G4 or G5 processor
> Applications that depend on one or more PowerPC-only kernel extensions
> Kernel extensions
> Java applications with JNI libraries
> Java applets in applications that Rosetta can translate; that means a
> web browser that Rosetta can run translated will not be able to load
> Java applets.

That's the official word. But there have been many reports of recent
builds successfully running AltiVec code - which the original developer
code-drops didn't do. So I don't trust this article as much as I might
have a few months ago.

So it wouldn't surprise me if other (officially so far) unsupported
features end up supported in the future.

I agree that I don't think Classic will be supported by Apple on the
Intel platform, but until the systems ship, you really can nto say
"definitely" about it.

All that being said, it is quite possible for a third party to make an
appropriate emulation package. There are already two packages for
emulating really old Macs (like Plusses). It wouldn't surprise me if
someone would develop a package to emulate an OS9-compatible Mac (maybe
even leveraging Rosetta for the CPU emulation component.)

-- David

  • Re: Upgrading to Snow Leopard - will Office be affected?
    ... One thing mentioned in this MacFixIt article has to do with Rosetta. ... answers to many of my questions in this TUAW article: Mac 201: Preparing ... Apple's list of Universal Applications ... After installing Snow Leopard, use Disk Utility to repair permissions. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office)
  • Re: Upgrading to Snow Leopard - will Office be affected?
    ... One thing mentioned in this MacFixIt article has to do with Rosetta. ... answers to many of my questions in this TUAW article: Mac 201: Preparing ... Office for Mac 2008 Installer will install both sets of code ... Apple's list of Universal Applications ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office)
  • Re: A bit of a quandry...
    ... > Lloyd Parsons wrote: ... Intel iMac can do the job, might as well go with the newer hardware. ... > applications that need a lot of Altivec calls can't use Rosetta. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Somebody with Mac or BSD here to help me supporting other platforms?
    ... Would this emulation allow to run i386 on a Mac, ... Rosetta is Apple's PPC emulator. ... Web Hosting by West Virginians, ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.development)
  • Re: Snow Leopard
    ... Snow Leopard Security Update Kills PowerPC Apps Using Rosetta ... major issues for users who rely on older PowerPC applications ...
    (comp.sys.mac.misc)