Re: Questions about Intel Macs

Ben <yorabbit@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> To me it seems quite clear what Apple itself writes about Rosetta
> on its developer site...
>
> Rosetta does not run the following:
>
> Applications built for any version of the Mac OS earlier than Mac OS X
> —that means Mac OS 9, Mac OS 8, Mac OS 7, and so forth
> The Classic environment
> Code written specifically for AltiVec
> Code that inserts preferences in the System Preferences pane
> Applications that require a G4 or G5 processor
> Applications that depend on one or more PowerPC-only kernel extensions
> Kernel extensions
> Java applications with JNI libraries
> Java applets in applications that Rosetta can translate; that means a
> web browser that Rosetta can run translated will not be able to load
> Java applets.

That's the official word. But there have been many reports of recent
builds successfully running AltiVec code - which the original developer
code-drops didn't do. So I don't trust this article as much as I might
have a few months ago.

So it wouldn't surprise me if other (officially so far) unsupported
features end up supported in the future.

I agree that I don't think Classic will be supported by Apple on the
Intel platform, but until the systems ship, you really can nto say
"definitely" about it.

All that being said, it is quite possible for a third party to make an
appropriate emulation package. There are already two packages for
emulating really old Macs (like Plusses). It wouldn't surprise me if
someone would develop a package to emulate an OS9-compatible Mac (maybe
even leveraging Rosetta for the CPU emulation component.)

-- David
.