iChat an Messenger Problems

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone has any solutions/suggestions for this problem.

I've just bought my first Mac about 6 weeks ago (and love it). I'm now having problems using iChat and MS Messenger on it. I'm not a chat person really but when I tried to use iChat with my brother (a confirmed Mac user) all was successful and managed a video/audio conversation. Then one day opened iChat and got the message:
"Could not connect to AIM - The host refusted the connection, try again". This is now the norm when I load the program.

Similarly MS Messenger, which previously worked fine, gives the Message:
"Sign in to Microsoft Messenger failed because the service is not available or you may not be connected to the internet".

I am connected to the internet when this happens.

I have Parallels installed running Windows XP and when I load Messenger under that, or on the old PC, everything works fine.

I also installed Yahoo messenger amd Skype to try, these too seems to work fine.

Being new to Macs, I wonder if there's some setting I have changed which could cause these problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
John

  • Re: iChat firewall question
    ... his .mac account and I used my AIM account and we connected fine. ... He said when he has tried in the past he cannot make an iChat connection to his son's .mac account when he is at work and his son is at home, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: iChat firewall question
    ... his .mac account and I used my AIM account and we connected fine. ... He said when he has tried in the past he cannot make an iChat connection ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: iChat firewall question
    ... his .mac account and I used my AIM account and we connected fine. ... He said when he has tried in the past he cannot make an iChat connection ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: q: video chat with windows?
    ... My brother in law uses a Mac and iChat via a ... Balcab connection. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Ma alla apple conoscono ichat?
    ... se nella pagina iniziale del visore aiuto di finder cliccae su " passare da windows a mac" e scorrete fino al paragrafo riguardante email e messaggeria istantanea, ... provvisto anche di iChat AV, che ti consente di utilizzare il tuo indirizzo di posta elettronica .Mac o lo screen name di AOL Instant Messenger per entrare in chat con altri utenti di iChat AV, AIM, MSN Messenger, Yahoo! ...
    (it.comp.macintosh)