Re: Disk Image vs. Clone

TaliesinSoft wrote:
Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:
[commenting on the difference between a clone and a disk image]
If you use a diskimage, you can make such an image compressed, so the size is rather much smaller. A clon always has the same size as the original. - And another thing here... You can normally boot from a clon, which you can't from an image - compressed or uncompressed...

interestingly my SuperDuper "clones" are slightly smaller than the original, say 104 GB for the clone and 106 GB for the original. My understanding is that this has something to do with certain cache files not being needed in the clone.

I think you're right about this. Some other backup apps do the same... Normally I use 'Backuplist+' for making backups on an external Firewire disk, and the clon on the external disk is exactly the same bit by bit.

Sometimes I've also used the QuickBack from the Intech Speedtools 2.8.1. This app also 'forgets' the caches and archived log files that aren't necessary for a bootable clon.

cheers, Erik Richard

Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <mac-manNOSP@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

  • Re: Image of boot disk SATA
    ... What is the difference between a clone and an image and what would ... backup strategy and employing it on a systematic basis. ... The advantage of creating disk images in lieu of ... disk image files as compared with the disk-to-disk cloning operation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Which backup programs will do this?
    ... >>>directly to another disk or create a disk image on removeable media. ... Do the two hard drives have to be identical in size? ... you need to select Backup....NOT Clone. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: How to transfer my OS 10.4 from one hard drive to the other HDD?
    ... and someone that should know how said do it as a disk image. ... Make both normal backup, copying, cloning, incremental backup and backup to diskimages. ... I discovered it by incident when I had made a clon onto an external disk and then would boot from it. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: Disk Copy - Clone - and/or Image ?
    ... and making a disk image? ... CD install/repair install procedure. ... What's the best way to go...I have both Seagate's Disk Wizard ... Clone is usually a one-off process. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Backup With Disk Utility?
    ... > Just picked up an older iBook, 500 MHz with a 10G disk, running OS X ... I've used the Tiger Disk Utility to clone one drive to another. ... or at least create a disk image on the USB HD. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)