Re: Copying/Extracting iTunes audio files?

In article <siegman-4A83F2.08162215032008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, AES
<siegman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[A large scale database program whose documentation contains no
information on how to export copies of items in the database out of the
database -- this is good programming?]

Although I'm not firmly on either side of the argument as to whether
this is good programming, I can see the argument for assuming that the
user might expect "drag & drop" to be a reasonable thing to try.

I suppose said novice user could always experiment; and I do see that
dragging an item out of the library window puts a file with the same
name on the desktop. But of course the fundamental metaphor for the Mac
Finder from time immemorial (and for a number of other apps), is that
dragging _Moves_ and Option-drag _Copies_. So, iTunes does the exact
reverse? Do I have further check on this point?

Uhhh, you're not "in the Finder", you're copying to the Finder from
another application and the drag & drop rules apply. Drag an image off
a web page into a folder and you get a copy. Drag an image/block of
text out of a TextEdit or Pages document into a mail message and you
get a copy. And so forth. The paradigm you describe (dragging moves and
option-dragging copies) is typically the paradigm within a single
application/document/window and it really isn't all that consistent
there from the user's perspective. For example, Option-dragging in the
Finder copies if the destination is on the same volume, but not if the
destination is a different volume and simple dragging to a different
volume performs a copy rather than a move.

--
Spenser

  • Re: Which Version of Photoshop?
    ... (appropriate to photographers). ... Even venting shots into directories is more convenient with the Finder. ... but also some not-so-nice features as a database. ... To me (as a photographer) it's what's with the photo in its folder that counts,that can be accessed via Finder to be sure. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Apple Event October 20th - next OS version?
    ... What do you use for opening files, moving files around, then? ... Perhaps the Finder doomsayers could comment. ... Just select the list with a shift-click, and drag the whole bunch away. ... Came back an hour later to see a window which told me one of the files I ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: EJB find methods. Why do they return only the primary key?
    ... > building the bean and returning it in the find method. ... database has a record with that primary key. ... returns the primary key; if not it throws an ObjectNotFoundException. ... the finder must throw an ObjectNotFoundException. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Hope at last!!!!
    ... >> Which is pretty important if all you've got is a single developer. ... The use of C++, the Carbon library, and PowerPlant ... Comparing the 10.0 Finder to the 10.4 Finder, ... I can't grab an icon from the sidebar and drag it ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Disconnected model - high memory cost
    ... But if you use the drag 'n drop approach, ... "If the database is large, that mean a lot of memory is used. ... as a new kind of RecordSet. ... Instantiating the form automatically fills the ...