Re: Best MacOsX email client?

On 2006-07-23 13:25:30 -0700, Jeffrey Goldberg <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Proconsul wrote:

You missed the boat in re the concept of "value"

Can you elaborate? Or at least explain what you mean as "value" and how
that relates to "price".

"Value" and "price" aren't related in the sense you pose the question.....

Value is a subjective concept where one can judge for one's self - using one's own criteria - as to whether or not the "price paid" was justified or "worth it"....

In particular, I'd be curious as to what theory you have that would make
"anything free worth what you pay for it" in a world where many people
donate time, money, or other valuables.

My opinion - not a "theory" - is that once you accept something for nothing, you cannot complain or be unhappy with what you got. It was "worth", in that sense, exactly what you paid for it.

Further, the notion that "freeware" is somehow a noble concept of generosity to the world is a tad extreme. I don't presume to understand the motives of those who give away their work - if you want it to be justified, ask them. Personally, I prefer to be paid for my work - an exchange of "value" for "value".

Applying that standard, if you "value" your work at "nothing", i.e., give it away for "free", then don't be surprised if the beneficiary of your gift assigns the same "value" to that work.......

PC

  • Re: Best MacOsX email client?
    ... Value is a subjective concept where one can judge for one's self - ... justified or "worth it".... ... "anything free worth what you pay for it" in a world where many people ... "worth", in that sense, exactly what you paid for it. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: WotLK Private server
    ... sure life would go on, but as I said somewhere upthread, my life would ... for what they do and get paid according to what they do is worth. ... They generally get paid for their skill not for the tapping. ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: Copying CDs and DVDs to be made legal.
    ... and a film industry consisting entirely of 25 ... unless they are paid grotesquely excessive amounts for doing so? ... someone else thinks they're worth. ... They voluntarily pay what they are prepared to pay, ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: WotLK Private server
    ... sure life would go on, but as I said somewhere upthread, my life would ... I imagine most people want to get paid ... for what they do and get paid according to what they do is worth. ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: Copying CDs and DVDs to be made legal.
    ... I think you mean people paying a price they are prepared to pay in a transaction between a willing seller and a willing purchaser, for goods that are entirely inessential. ... and a film industry consisting entirely of 25 ... unless they are paid grotesquely excessive amounts for doing so? ... If thousands or millions of people think you're worth something, it's generally better than one person thinking you're worth a lot. ...
    (uk.legal)