In article
<doraymeRidThis-B6CBBE.09184605042006@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
dorayme <doraymeRidThis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <uce-C54F25.07124204042006@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Gregory Weston <uce@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article
<doraymeRidThis-25C27C.06283904042006@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
dorayme <doraymeRidThis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Indeed, this endings thing explains the notepad behaviour, I did
imply that Wordpad displays the css fine with all the line breaks
I put in BBEdit. But this is not the main prob. About browser
recognition of what seems to me a perfectly well formed linked
css file from a well formed link in the head of the html.

These two pages might be informative:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/css/reference/attributes.asp>

<http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html>

Well, not sure why you think these bear on my problem,

Well, they're about what works (and what doesn't work) in CSS in IE.
Seemed like they might have some relevance given what you were
describing.

It's ok Gregory, thanks anyway. My problem was not about how IE
renders CSS. It was to see how it did. IE was not even seeing
the relevant file....

As others have mentioned Windows, Unix, and Mac store text files
differently. Briefly carriage return, cr, line feed, lf are two codes
that can be used to change from one line to another. In windows both
are used, on Unix it's lf (only) and on mac it's cr (only) [I think,
but I may have them backwards.] If you do any edition on the windows
box you can get a free text editor notepad++ (google it to find where to
get it). It has a menu option of showing hidden codes (tabs, returns,
etc) and it has an option of saving a text file in either Win, mac, or
unix formats. So when you open a file in this editor, it formats
correctly regardless of where you picked it up from.

dick
-- and as others have said just turn off "hide extensions for known file
types" to make things easy to read. To me it's the Window's equivalent
of the one button mouse for mac.

  • Re: How do you do this on XP Windows?
    ... Gregory Weston wrote: ... dorayme wrote: ... css file from a well formed link in the head of the html. ... Seemed like they might have some relevance given what you were ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: iJoke wanted.
    ... Gregory Weston wrote: ... dorayme wrote: ... On the Mac, Spotlight is totally brilliant. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: How do you do this on XP Windows?
    ... dorayme wrote: ... Gregory Weston wrote: ... imply that Wordpad displays the css fine with all the line breaks ... css file from a well formed link in the head of the html. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: [newbie] need advice on div layout
    ... First I wanted to use a table-based layout, but I decided to learn something about divs. ... see if you can make do from the beginning without CSS table layout considering there is such a problem with browser support. ... I'd also advise generally against specifying heights (I don't see where dorayme mentioned this), especially for the main content area. ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets)
  • Re: Problem centering UL and LI elements
    ... dorayme wrote: ... How about making these changes at least to the css: ... font: bold .85em Arial sans-serif; ... /* Dont use px for font sizes and especially not flyspeck like ...
    (alt.html)