Re: FEMA aid site is Windows-only

In article <dfnv9n$k45$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jimhill@xxxxxxxx (Jim Hill)
wrote:

> Steve Hix wrote:
> >In article <1126087619.191232.157390@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> > msryter@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> >> ARGH! Yet another reason for frustration with FEMA: its aid site for
> >> Katrina victims won't work for Mac-users, requiring IE 6 only.
> >>
> >> See article here:
> >>
> >> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9231271/
> >
> >Some people have reported success in using other browsers set to report
> >as IE 6 on Windows. This includes Mac OS X and Linux users.
>
> This is even more unforgiveable if true, since it implies that the
> asscheek in charge of the website is permitting or rejecting browsers
> based on nothing but a reported User-Agent string, without even being
> aware of the featuresets and standards support of those browsers.

Pretty much on the order of:

"Hey Boss, we can save money and time by not testing on anything but
Windows running IE 6. It'll work for most people; we can ignore the few
for which it won't."

> Folks: write to the got-damn standards and stop worrying about
> User-Agents.

But that would take more work; and might not work right in IE 6!

> If you're working for the government, your number one
> responsibility is a website accessible by all, not a gee-whiz coolio
> site that works on only one browser because it's written around the
> broken behavior of that particular browser.

In practice, saving the department a few bucks is more likely to get you
promoted.

> Oh, and the best way to
> write a truly compliant website is to reject utterly the use of site
> development tools produced by the same company that produces the broken
> browser.

"But...but...but...we already have those tools!!"

  • Re: Where is the notificiation about IE zero day vulnerablity?
    ... Imhotep wrote ... > a denial of service on Firefox and Opera Web browsers, ... Crash or possible infiltration? ... report it to whom-ever I can report it. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Web browsers - a mini-farce
    ... report it to them and to FD or other lists. ... Microsoft did something others couldn't be bothered to. ... I specifically stated that this does *NOT* prove that MSIE is safer to ... browsers, suggesting that much of it may turn to be just a result of the ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: FEMA aid site is Windows-only
    ... In article, jimhill@xxxxxxxx (Jim Hill) ... >>Some people have reported success in using other browsers set to report ... Do you really think those Government IT persons, GS-9, and 11 ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: Any updates for browser compatability issue in Publisher 2003?
    ... She has Earthlink and is on dial-up. ... and try to do one with the hosting website's website builder. ... save the whole website to the server, publisher stopped responding during the ... your site will load properly in most browsers. ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)