Re: Thinking About Going Mac: Care To Try To Convince Me?

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:11:53 AM UTC-7, Steve wrote:
Hi;

I'm thinking about going Mac, after many years of mac-o-phile friends
showing me some very impressive demonstrations.

I do have some problems with the Mac, as an outsider looking in and I
would like hear what people who really like the system have to say.

I've been using Linux at home for about 13 years, Ubuntu, ever since it
came out. I'm a Java developer.

I've found articles and blog posts from 2010 stating that "Java has been
deprecated on the Mac". I went to the Oracle site and only found Java
distribution for *nix and Windows. Anyone know what the deal is?

I went to the Apple site.

I saw that they only offer quad cores with the iMacs. My mac loving
friends have told me that Macs have always been underpowered. Why?
Does this make a difference? I see that PCs now come with CPUs that
have 6 cores.

To get similar hardware power and a similar monitor I will end up paying
almost $700 - $1000 dollars more with the Mac?

Why would I want to do that? What would I get for the money?

If I bought a new PC, put Linux on it and had to futz for a day to get
it all going I wouldn't care. $700 in savings with some futzing when
upgrading once or twice a year is a nice payday.

I have a lot of respect for Macs, I've gotten about half a dozen family
members and friends to buy them versus a windows box. I'm just not
sure it is the best fit for my situation.

So, I'm here with an open mind. What will I get for the extra money and
reduced hardware power if I go Mac?

No disrespect to anyone and thanks in advance for all of the polite
opinions.

Steve

You're probably just another troll, but I'll give you the benefit of a doubt that you're not.

1) Java is still available on the Mac.
2) Mac are not any more "underpowered" that Windows machine. 12 core Macs are available (tower systems).
3) Macs are not as expensive compared to equally spec'ed systems as the trolls would have you believe. It's just Apple never attempted to compete in the budget priced end of systems.

A) Why are you interested in getting a Mac? Just because others have one?
B) Are you unhappy with what you are using now?
C) Is there any special software you must have and is it available on the Mac?
D) Any special hardware you need on your system?

If you are an average user and you are not too set in your ways of doing things, a Mac could make life easier for you. But no single system is perfect for everyone. If you have special needs, you'll most likely know how you do your research. If you don't know how to do your own research, you most likely don't have any special needs :-)

By the way, I use both types of systems, I prefer the Macs, but they don't full fill every need I have.

Hehe

  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ FIND ADDRESS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... address email find someones yahoo ... find router mac address ... find business phone number using address ... find out email addresses for friends ...
    (rec.music.early)
  • What are Mac users experiences with Windows troubleshooting?
    ... Mac friends keep their computers up and running and healthy. ... lately I've been asked to help some friends with their Windows ... I haven't figured out how to boot onto an external drive ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Electric Quilt 6? Worth it??
    ... Connie wrote: ... LOL, the day one of my friends got ... One of my friends went from a G5 to an Intel and said it was almost ... Probably nearly the same as when I went froma PC to a Mac! ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Steam Christmas Sale has started.....
    ... Apple has ... Mac presence in the ... my best friend to cancer today (not kidding about that or anything ... about losing your friends. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)