Lion Mouse Oddity
- From: Snit <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:08:16 -0700
OK, just spent some time troubleshooting an odd problem I have had since I
installed OS X Lion. The symptoms:
* When I boot,
* If set to boot to desktop, gets there but the mouse and
keyboard do not seem to work for about 10 minutes - except
the mouse pointer will move. No clicks or button presses
work, though. Then all is fine.
* If set to go to login screen, gets there and does the same
thing - then once I can log in all is fine.
* Does the same thing if I boot with Option and then go to
the Recovery "drive"
After the 10 minutes, though, all seems fine. After much troubleshooting,
this is what I found (with the help of a *wonderful* Apple tech):
First: I use a Logitech MX518 (8 button mouse) with a third party driver
(SteerMouse). I also have an Apple mouse and a Logitech 3 button mouse with
the label missing - I just looked at the Logitech site and did not see it
listed there any more. So be it: I will just call it the Logitech 3B.
The above symptoms happen under the following conditions:
* SteerMouse installed: if the Logitech MX518 or the Logitech
3B attached. Either way, 10 minute delay. All is fine with
the Apple mouse.
* SteerMouse *not* installed: if the Logitech MX518 is
attached but *not* if the Logitech 3B is attached (or the
My guess: Apple made changes to the way input devices work with Lion
(clearly they added gestures and the like). I wonder how long until others
start reporting similar oddities - and how long until Apple corrects this.
By the way, not a *huge* deal: but I do have to either wait 10 minutes when
I reboot or pull out the Logitech mouse and put the Apple mouse in. Either
way is pretty bad - but I do not reboot often so it is livable. Still,
Anyone else in CSMA running into something similar? What input devices do
you use? Do you use third party drivers?
[INSERT .SIG HERE]
- Prev by Date: Re: Mac Mini Review (NOT GOOD)
- Next by Date: Re: Maybe FCP X is going to work for pros after all...
- Previous by thread: Lion - no admin account
- Next by thread: Smartphone industry is being screwed...