Re: Apple/Macs for the Army

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:25:41 -0500, Edwin wrote:
On Dec 24 2007, 11:45 pm, Tim Murray <no-s...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:45:01 -0500, Edwin wrote:

and if you remember some years back the Army went to Macs for their
website since it had been hacked so much.

No, I don't remember that. Please document your claim.

September 15, 1999 WebSTAR Server Suite Used by U.S. Army Web Site By
Scott Clark

StarNine Technologies Inc. this week announced that the U.S. Army's Web
site is now being served by StarNine's WebSTAR Server Suite software
running on the Mac OS. Until the Army's Web site was hacked in late June
by a 19-year old Wisconsin man, the site had been using a Microsoft
Windows NT-based Web server. After careful evaluation of WebSTAR, and a
review of the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) reports on WebSTAR's
security, they decided to switch to WebSTAR on the Mac OS. WebSTAR Server
Suite 4.0 includes high performance Web, FTP, Mail and Proxy servers that
have been integrated into one application which uses secure IP-based
remote administration. The WebSTAR Web server features Virtual Host
support, integrated SSLv2 and SSLv3 support, Server-Side-Includes for
dynamic content, Lasso-based FileMaker Pro and ODBC data source
publishing and support for Plug-Ins, CGIs, Java Servlets and WebObjects.

Thanks for refuting your own claim. You have only one instance of
hacking not "since it had been hacked so much."

The Army's switch was also to move to the WebSTAR Server Suite 4.0, not
because of inherent differences in Mac OS X over Windows.

I didn't claim anything, ass. The statement was made about the switch. You
asked, please document. I did. And by the way, they could have switched to
a plethora of Windows- or Linux-based solutions, yet they chose Mac. Hmmm.

  • Re: scan for machines in the subnet
    ... (no need to copy MAC addresses between leases files and config files). ... but which port on which switch). ... each manually configured server, ... Our printers change names when a new model is received (which generally ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: ip spoofed packets on a LAN, how to identify the source ?
    ... So, it's a local server that send IP spoofed packets, and try to bounce on my server? ... Even if the source MAC is spoofed, too, you can sometimes look in the arp table on your switch to see what port is associated with the suspect MAC address. ... BTW, if the packet is making it through the ASA, then the source MAC address you see on your server would be the MAC of the ASA. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: ip spoofed packets on a LAN, how to identify the source ?
    ... like 192.168.0.0/24, on a switch. ... So, it's a local server that send IP spoofed packets, and try to bounce ... The MAC address of the source packets is false... ... BTW, if the packet is making it through the ASA, then the source MAC ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: A cross-platform vision for Delphi
    ... It's not only the hardware and the option of running Windows, Mac OSX ... On the Server side, the licensing issues make running a Linux server ... If I had disposable funds to do so, I'd switch today. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • APPLE-SA-2011-10-12-3 OS X Lion v10.7.2 and Security Update 2011-006
    ... Mac OS X v10.6.8, Mac OS X Server v10.6.8, ... CVE-2011-0419 does not affect OS X Lion systems. ... A signedness issue existed in ATS' handling of Type 1 ...
    (Bugtraq)