Re: Apple/Macs for the Army

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:25:41 -0500, Edwin wrote:
On Dec 24 2007, 11:45 pm, Tim Murray <no-s...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:45:01 -0500, Edwin wrote:

and if you remember some years back the Army went to Macs for their
website since it had been hacked so much.

No, I don't remember that. Please document your claim.

September 15, 1999 WebSTAR Server Suite Used by U.S. Army Web Site By
Scott Clark

StarNine Technologies Inc. this week announced that the U.S. Army's Web
site is now being served by StarNine's WebSTAR Server Suite software
running on the Mac OS. Until the Army's Web site was hacked in late June
by a 19-year old Wisconsin man, the site had been using a Microsoft
Windows NT-based Web server. After careful evaluation of WebSTAR, and a
review of the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) reports on WebSTAR's
security, they decided to switch to WebSTAR on the Mac OS. WebSTAR Server
Suite 4.0 includes high performance Web, FTP, Mail and Proxy servers that
have been integrated into one application which uses secure IP-based
remote administration. The WebSTAR Web server features Virtual Host
support, integrated SSLv2 and SSLv3 support, Server-Side-Includes for
dynamic content, Lasso-based FileMaker Pro and ODBC data source
publishing and support for Plug-Ins, CGIs, Java Servlets and WebObjects.

Thanks for refuting your own claim. You have only one instance of
hacking not "since it had been hacked so much."

The Army's switch was also to move to the WebSTAR Server Suite 4.0, not
because of inherent differences in Mac OS X over Windows.

I didn't claim anything, ass. The statement was made about the switch. You
asked, please document. I did. And by the way, they could have switched to
a plethora of Windows- or Linux-based solutions, yet they chose Mac. Hmmm.

.