Re: The Top Secret Feature!

"nospamatall" <nospamatall@xxxxxx> stated in post fg0pe6$s7m$1@xxxxxxxx on
10/27/07 6:42 PM:

Snit wrote:
"nospamatall" <nospamatall@xxxxxx> stated in post ffvnbg$ja$1@xxxxxxxx on
10/27/07 9:00 AM:

I chose to be well-organised a long time ago, I think knowing pretty much
where everything is (or at least being able to work out eaisily where things
I've forgotten are) is a Good Thing.

It is possible, if you are careful about where you put things and how
you name them originally. But if interface things continue along this
line there will be little point. As long as the system can compensate
for lack of organisation (as the iPhoto etc gui does) it's fine, but
when things go wrong you are screwed if this trend goes much further.

I can see your concern, but am not as concerned. I simply do not see this
much in the real world. What I see is that people become fairly comfortable
that they can find their files and then venture out to learn files and
folders. It always amazes me how many 'advanced" Windows users are clueless
here. I teach a Dreamweaver class which often has about 1/3 Mac users, and
consistently they know where their files are... which is anything but true
for the Windows users. In many semesters of this I cannot think of a single
Mac users who has shown the same confusion - though there may have been a
small number. With Windows it is quite common (though not so common I would
call it the norm).

I know what you mean. Sometimes when trying to sort out a problem I ask
where they have put some document or other. "Oh, it's in Word" they say.

Exactly! How do you think *that* user... a common sort, really... would
handle virtual desktops?

I'm just a bit concerned that some of these things that could be
improvements are being done in a way that could make that situation
actually difficult to avoid. I mean, taking away functionality when a
new thing is introduced, like this one. Not everyone wants the
hand-holding and it it shouldn't be mandatory.

I have not played enough with Leopard or seen "average" users use it at all
- but overall Apple is very good at building methods that not only let
people do much without knowing "where" files are or even what files are, but
also help them learn. See above for my example.

--
When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how
to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not

  • Re: The Top Secret Feature!
    ... It always amazes me how many 'advanced" Windows users are ... Mac users who has shown the same confusion - though there may have been a ... With Windows it is quite common (though not so common I ... a common sort, really... ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: The Top Secret Feature!
    ... It always amazes me how many 'advanced" Windows users are clueless ... Mac users who has shown the same confusion - though there may have been a ... With Windows it is quite common (though not so common I would ... a common sort, really... ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: The Top Secret Feature!
    ... Snit wrote: ... It always amazes me how many 'advanced" Windows users are clueless ... Mac users who has shown the same confusion - though there may have been a ... With Windows it is quite common (though not so common I would ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Should Apple do away with OS X?
    ... Donald L McDaniel wrote: ... Windows machines". ... are "easy to use, and which provide FEW choices", while Windows users ... Mac users are not saying that Mac OS provides less choice. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Should Apple do away with OS X?
    ... Windows machines". ... are "easy to use, and which provide FEW choices", while Windows users ... Mac users are not saying that Mac OS provides less choice. ... The writers of malware aim the majority of their ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)