Re: Most limited Netbook ever made!

AJL wrote:
"BillW50" <BillW50@xxxxxxx> wrote:

AJL typed on Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:21:57 -0700:
"BillW50" <BillW50@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I often use Kommander on my 2G Surf, but that probably wouldn't
impress you much either.
Well if you like it and you being a respected member of this community, it is worth checking out. <grin>

On my 2G Surf netbook Kommander was already installed, just hidden.
Asus apparently thought that Firefox was the better choice for the
general non-Linux public. Try typing "Kommander" in the terminal
window to see if your Eee already has it. If so it's easy to add to
the IWM Start menu.

Okay 20 seconds to boot up Xandros. Had a long wait for the wireless to connect though.

/home/user> kommander
bash: kommander: command not found

Nope! I guess it isn't there. <sigh>

So what is this IWM Start Menu? Advanced mode? The KDE desktop?

Opera itself is near perfect, but it falls short when it comes to Firefox and/or IE only scripts. It has to be something, doesn't it?

Depends on what you do. I like to read newspapers and news sites which
is mostly text and photos. So I actually like the Firefox 2 that came
on the Surf. I use the Noscript add-on which removes the moving ads
and speeds up the page loading. But yes on my Windows machines I have
them all, Opera, Chrome, Safari ect and IE of course.

Good deal!

http://digg.com/programming/How_to_run_IE6_on_Linux_(wine_is_getting_pretty_impressive)
Come on really? Did you try it?

No I have no need of IE6. Question is did you try it? You were the one
who wanted IE6 on Linux. Nothing ventured nothing gained...

No I always hear complains about it and it sounds nice for a limited amount of Windows applications. But if you are running it on your Surf, than it is worth checking out.

I have been following Wine years ago and they made a name for themselves by getting MS Office to run. Do you really believe they really have moved on much farther?

Only way to find out is try it. On my Surf I have Sea Monkey and this
Agent newsreader working using wine.

Oh good deal. You have Wine running on your Surf?

Things I though was going well in the early 80's. Commodores booted in like 5 seconds, my Epson PX-8 booted CP/M in like 2 seconds.

My Palms still boot instantly. Upcoming netbooks will have instant
booting to the communication services. I believe one is currently
advertised.

Someday all machines will be like this. <grin>

I was surprised to find that most of the more common DOS commands I
use to use also work in the Linux terminal window.
Really? Please share. As there was like five basic DOS commands that were built into Command.com. I'll probably get this partially wrong, but like DIR, COPY, REN, DEL, and TYPE. So which ones are the same under Linux?

These DOS commands work on my 2G Surf:

CD
CLS
COPY
DATE
DEL
DIR
ECHO
EXIT
FC
FIND
HOSTNAME
MKDIR
MORE
PING
REN
SET
TIME
TYPE...

Oh okay. Well lots of things are far different too.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

  • Re: Bit Twister: Is this the dhclient-exit-hooks you were talking about?
    ... It lets you take a screenshot ... See slrn running in the term window? ... Redhat left the linux user community in the lurch awhile back ... She will go for that and then I can get on with the FC5 install that I ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Linux, X, ld, gcc, linking, shared libraries and stuff
    ... You don't have to install any networking ... > know linux, but there seems to be several "window" managers available. ... underlying API, Xlib in this case, is too complicated to use. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • [opensuse] OpenSUSEs New Tech Evangelist
    ... he brought passion to his coverage of Linux and open source. ... will enable him to further the cause of openSUSE, ... community project to develop and maintain a general purpose Linux ... to Novell. ...
    (SuSE)
  • kevin:Re: [opensuse] Future of SUSE (at home)
    ... left the list because it looks like a very closed community ?? ... "If Linux is as good as Windows, it must be able to do this ... via closed formats. ... Not as much time as people have put in trying to create open formats and work ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [ck] Re: Linus 2.6.23-rc1
    ... They replaced code because he would have liked to have taken scheduler code ... He's strong in this area and weak in general kernel ... day in Linux because of people's collective lack of foresight. ... community admitted that there was a problem earlier and permitted more ...
    (Linux-Kernel)