Re: Inspiron 6000 LCD - Backlight issue?

The only way in which battery vs. line power should impact screen brightness is that the laptop senses the power source and allows different brightness settings for each power source. Normally, however, laptops run at full brightness on mains and reduced brightness (to conserve battery power and extend battery run time) when running on battery. But either in the BIOS or in Windows, it should be possible to seperately set the brightness for each power mode. In terms of actual hardware failure (backlight or inverter failure), power source should make no difference at all.

edosan wrote:

Hi, I'm experiencing exactly the same problem which coincidently
started after running the computer entirely on mains for about 3 weeks
whilst waiting for a new battery.
Only additional comments in my case is that I have been able to
temporarily rectify the problem by switching off and booting up on
battery power. This has restored the screen flickering at first until I
put it back on mains. Unfortunately it has reverted back to the very
faint screen again twice more. Only other abnormal feature is that the
casing and screen in the bottom right hand corner appears to be getting
very hot, almost unbearable to touch, otherwise everthing is working
normally.
Wondered if this gives any more clues to anyone, whether RJ has managed
to fix the computer yet and whether this could be related in some way
to running without a battery for extended period of time.
EdoSan
M.I.5¾ wrote: