Re: Trying to boot Knoppix on my HP Pavilion laptop

Try to reburn the .iso you downloaded using either Nero or Roxio burning
software and select burn from an iso. Use a slower speed than the max speed;
try either 4x or 8x.
Also, check the mdsum of your downloaded .iso to be sure your file isn't
corrupted somehow. Google "mdsum" and you can find different mdsum checkers
for windows. You should be able to pop the CD into your drive and reboot and
go into the knoppix desktop without entering anything except hitting the
enter key.
Make sure that your laptop will boot from the optical drive first. That is
accessed in your BIOS, but you already know that!

--
Kenneth Wolf
kwolf8380@xxxxxxxxxxx

"M.L." <me@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> After downloading and burning a Knoppix CD, upon insertion I got a
> "non-emulation boot" statement and the boot just hung there.
>
> I reburned the CD using CDburnerXP Pro, which allows me to select
> among several boot types of which I chose "floppy disk emulation."
> Upon insertion the CD boots into Caldera DOS and finishes at the A
> prompt. However, I don't know how to make it execute the Knoppix CD
> from there. I can switch to the CD drive and read the Knoppix disk
> files, but I can't find an equivalent to a "setup.exe" to launch the
> CD. Any help on launching Knoppix under these conditions will be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks.

  • Re: Trying to boot Knoppix on my HP Pavilion laptop
    ... >After downloading and burning a Knoppix CD, ... I don't know how to make it execute the Knoppix CD ... >>software and select burn from an iso. ... >>Make sure that your laptop will boot from the optical drive first. ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: arithmetic speed
    ... > I've started downloading the iso, which will take at least an hour. ... > cd because the knoppix package list doesn't have any lisp programs on ... loopback filesystem within a single file (which can reside within your ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: arithmetic speed
    ... Knoppix is designed just for your type of 'interested party' in linux. ... I've started downloading the iso, which will take at least an hour. ... cd because the knoppix package list doesn't have any lisp programs on ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: help installing FreeBSD
    ... I hit 'ok' and then appears: ... I don't think is the checksum because I was trying to install ... my ISO image and how do I verify it???? ... If you are downloading on a Windows machine, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • trouble with booting from 5.2RC2 ISO
    ... I've had some trouble with booting from the 5.2 ISO I downloaded. ... I made sure all BIOS settings were set to boot from CD ... did downloading the 5.2RC2 ISO on Linux mess it up ... about emulated el torito vs real el toritos, ...
    (freebsd-newbies)