SCSI ID’s

SCSI ID’s are used to uniquely identify each device on the SCSI bus. A SCSI bus may have as many ID’s as the number of bits in the width of the bus. An 8-bit (or Narrow) SCSI bus has 8 possible ID’s ranging in value from 0 to 7; while a 16-bit (or WIDE) SCSI bus has 16 possible ID’s ranging in value from 0 to 15. Devices may be assigned any ID in the range but controllers should be limited to ID’s 0 through 7 to insure proper operation with any 8-bit (or Narrow) devices that might be installed. The default ID assigned to the host adapter and boot device varies with adapter implementation (see your controller documentation for more information).

ID values not only identify the device or controller but also determine the ‘priority’ that a device or controller receives on the bus. ID’s 0-7 are the highest priority with 7 being the highest;
followed by 8-15 with 15 being the highest. SCSI ID priority is as follows:

HIGH <-----------  PRIORITY       --------------->LOW
 7  6  5  4  3  2  1  0  15  14  13  12  11  10  9  8

Important: SCSI ID’s define priority, not physical location on the cable.

  • Re: scsi sense data errors after adding new U160 drives to 7025-F50
    ... SCSI Bus Errors, this one error 10 are often seen after adding new ... that I am using a fast/wide controller that is hitting its bandwith ... > drives the rootvg disks but are not being used in the mksysb operation. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: OT: Torn between SCSI and SATA for RAID
    ... Adaptec SCSI Cards advertises a max of 30 devices - some even more. ... but does the SCSI Bus not allow for a max of 8 devices? ... know that I can use one Controller to mirror another, but can I extend a array ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: How does CAM determine the order to number drives ?
    ... >> You can wire down particular devices to a given SCSI bus, target and ... Wiring down the controller number doesn't usually affect drive ordering. ... All drives on all controllers are scanned at once in parallel, ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Software raid with external enclosure?
    ... saturating the U320 SCSI bus (assuming the controller is not a limiting ... I guess it seems like the controller is going to be the main ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: limits on raid
    ... Huh? ... You can only have 16 devices on a scsi bus, counting the host adapter. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)