Re: info request on Future Domain MCS-700...

Hi!

> I recently got a nifty Future Domain MCS-700 MCA SCSI card from a
> person getting out of the hobby. I'm thinking I should use it instead
> of the onboard SCSI in the 8557SLC that I have, so I can use the
> external CD-ROM (thanks Tim) and internal hard drives larger than 1GB.

Hang onto that thought for a minute. If memory serves, the 8557 is
definitely IML-based. You'll need to use either the onboard SCSI or a
genuine IBM MCA SCSI adapter of some sort. "Other" adapters (even the IBM
branded Future Domain card) don't work as the primary disk controller in
PS/2s requiring IML.

You could use the FD card as a secondary adapter for your external CD.
Disable or remove the BIOS ROM and it will work well with the help of
appropriate device drivers.

I don't know what the size limit of drives attached to the FD card is.
However, BIOS 1.00 seemingly does not take over 1GB drives and *may* have
issues with CD-ROM drives. BIOS 1.01 addresses both of these problems.

As for the power connector...it is limited in how much power it can supply.
In a system that does not have any standard four pin power plugs (like a
Model 50, 55 or 70) the onboard power plug is a quick way to plug in a
standard drive without modifying the system unit to supply power. I'd be
leery of going over 500mA for each of +5 and +12V, especially in systems
with smaller supplies.

William

  • Seeking advice on planned new build
    ... Sound Card: ... Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 or 750 ... the two optical drives to give them all better air circulation). ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Seeking advice on planned new build -- v2.0
    ... Sound Card: ... Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 SLI or Silencer 470 ... the two drives listed are the better buy at the time of purchase. ... I've also dropped my plan for a separate CD writer, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Seeking advice on planned new build -- v2.0
    ... Sound Card: ... Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 SLI or Silencer 470 ... the two drives listed are the better buy at the time of purchase. ... I've also dropped my plan for a separate CD writer, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: mvsas errors in 2.6.36
    ... The system has a 750w decent quality Antec power supply. ... after rolling a new 2.6.35 with the following fix that is ... In case my card is somehow different than expected, ... There are also two Seagate 7200.12 500G drives hooked up to the motherboard ...
    (Linux-Kernel)