Re: What is RAID0 good for?

On Aug 14, 10:44 am, M.L. <m...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My friend has a Win XP  PowerSpec B647 desktop with two 250 GB hard
drives configured in the BIOS as RAID0. It appears that whatever
happens to one drive happens to the other, so when she was infected
with a virus both hard drives were infected, and both were
simultaneously cleaned by the same antivirus scanner.

What good is having those 2 drives perform like that when she is a
non-techie home user who would be better off with the use of 2
independent hard drives? Is there a way to turn off the RAID behavior
so she can get usage more suitable to her needs? Thanks.

RAID 0 is nor really RAID as there is no redundancy. As discovered,
if one drive fails, in effect all data is lost.

The reason for it, in theory it will make the drive run faster. For
the average user, this speed difference may never be seen.

A safer option would be to use JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) and
concatinate the two to make a single 500GB drive.

If a 500GB drive was not required, then 2 x 250GB drives would be a
nice simple solution. This is the option I would choose.

To protect against single disk failure, you require RAID 1. However a
virus problem would still ingect both drives.

To change the setup will require reformating both drives, and so all
current data MUST be backed up first, and then the operating system
etc will need reloading. Probably not worth the effort, just make
sure you have regular backups.

Michael
www.cnwrecover.com

  • Re: raid controller
    ... In his article he states four major reasons to discourage RAID; ... Without RAID you could do a traditional backup at 8:00 AM and at 8:30 AM ... But It's asking for 'RAID Controller' ... hard drives with drive/s C on both drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Disk partitioning question
    ... A hardware RAID Volume may exist without any RAID Drives on it. ... > This single array will show up as Disk 0 in Windows Disk Manager. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Need help installing OS6 on Dell PowerEdge 2600 with PERC4/Di RAID
    ... > like a fresh install and porting their application and data to the new system. ... PERC4/Di RAID on the motherboard, Dell DLT tape drive, Dell slimline ... PATA connector usable for two PATA drives. ... After downloading drivers from both SCO and Dell to create the ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Disk partitioning question
    ... > A hardware RAID Volume may exist without any RAID Drives on it. ... This single array will show up as Disk 0 in Windows Disk ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • How I built a 2.8TB RAID storage array
    ... My 2.8TB RAID 5 array is finally up and running. ... Nine 400GB PATA drives; eight for use, ... Two Highpoint RocketRAID 454 cards. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)