Re: WD Passport WD1600U017-005

bblr <bblr.34k3hr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a WD 160GB Passport that may have died. When I plug it in I
can feel the drive spinning and the little green arrow shows up in
the lower right hand corner to "safely remove hardware" , however the
drive letter does not show up in the my comuter file. If I
right-click on my computer, it locks things up, but if I disconnect
the WD Passport, then the right-click works properly. If I
right-click on my computer and click device manager with the WD
Passport plugged in, it once again locks up the computer. Now if I
open the device manager without the WD Passport plugged in, click on
disk drives, only the main hard drive appears. But if I now plug in
the WD Passport, it does show up under disk drives, and if I click on
the WD drive, it tells me that the device is working properly. I did
back up my data about a month ago, but if possible would like to
retrieve as much as I can. I will try the bag and freezer trick as a
last resort. Please help if you can. Hopefully my drive is not
totally dead. Thanks

The USB stack can get rather screwed. See what happens on a different PC if you can.

  • Re: Wont recognize extra HD connected to USB port
    ... Device Manager, Click View - tic/check "Show Hidden Devices". ... Expand the Disk Drives category & look for your drive. ... entries then re-insert the USB plug. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: someone please help! with windows me
    ... > is bad because it says in the device manager that everything is working> properly. ... >> Remove ALL Hard drives ... you'll see a Temporary Internet Files section - ... >>>> the smaller download should do. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows not recognizing brand new USB flash drive
    ... reboot the system with the drives out and ... NetBackup" client and then plug the USB stick in, ... '512) is not being detected in Windows Explorer. ... SanDisk support suggested going into the Device Manager via Computer ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Very slow hard drive performance on Acer Aspire 9410
    ... I checked device manager and I have no exclamation marks. ... install of Windows XP Service pack 3. ... You might post copies of the actual Event Viewer reports. ... that two separate hard drives and two or three memory cards are all ...
  • Re: New XP install, 2nd HD not visible
    ... While it is possible, as Glen points out, that the BIOS has not detected your secondary HDD and that is causing your problem, in nearly every case we come across involving non-recognition of a non-defective secondary HDD, the problem results from misconnection/misconfiguration of the drive. ... Is the HDD listed in Device Manager under the "Disk drives" section? ... If not, while the "Disk drives" item is highlighted, click on the Action menu item and click "Scan for hardware changes". ...