>>> Jason Ducharme <jaydude@xxxxxxxxx> wrote

>>> Thats a tad weird. You sure you're actually booting the memtest86 CD
>>> ? There shouldnt be any EMM386.EXE involved since memtest86 is a
>>> standalone program that you boot off CD.

>>> Looks more like you arent running memtest86 at all.
>>>
>>> Try using the ISO to make a bootable CD.
>>>

>> That is the message I get when I boot from the memtest86 cd.  I made
>> the cd yesterday and I just booted from it again to check and I got
>> the same message.
>
> OK, then you do have bad ram. EMM386.EXE does a crude
> ram check when it runs, so the ram must be very bad.
>
> No need to worry about other programs, none
> are involved when booting the memtest86 CD

Rod, are you sure it's a bad RAM problem?  I only ask because the memtest86
message says that it has detected "an error caused by a fault in one of the
device drivers or programs loaded in the system."

Should I rule out what it is saying about faulty device drivers or programs?

  • Re: Upcoming Hard Drive Failure?
    ... >> Jason Ducharme wrote: ... I downloaded memtest86 and when I ran it it gave me the following ... program is at fault (if you have loaded several then load them one at ... >> ram check when it runs, so the ram must be very bad. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: kernel panic 6.2-RELEASE SMP dual quad core
    ... 12 page fault while in kernel mode ... i've configured the dump device and will follow the kernel debugging details in the handbook if it happens again but i thought i'd write in now in case the cause of the problem jumped out at anyone. ... i've run mprime for 24 hours, and memtest for 3 passes, and a script i wrote which just exhausts ram and CPU, then backs off and does it again which have been running for 24 hours. ... I've run memtest86 on three passes with no errrors reported although I've also read numerous reports on the net of memtest86 not being very effective. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: CAB errors - reinstall 98 on new drive!
    ... > that fault, it was bad RAM. ... Memtest86 will probably 'catch' it ... Prev by Date: ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Same error with all ports install!
    ... If memtest86 shows *any* errors it means that the RAM does not work as it ... I don't recommend using port compiles to test your RAM, ... I have changed the RAM to diffrent 256 1 chipset DDR. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Memtest86+ is always right? So it must be a software problem
    ... I ran it overnight, at least eight hours, with no errors found in the RAM. ... what memtest86+ detects, and how well it works, I'm happy ... memory location, it can still be used to detect bad timing. ... BIOS calls to do stuff. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)