Re: New drive

nospam <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> craigm <none@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>> nospam wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have just ordered a new drive, due tomorrow.
>>> I will add it to the slave connector and keep my current hdd (which
>>> has 3 partitions) as the boot drive. This one is just for extra
>>> storage.
>>> I assume it will come with a diagram to link it as a slave.
>>> Do I have to fdisk it?
>>> Do I then have to format it using the command
>>> format g: ?
>>> or will it all be done?
>>> Just plug it in and go!
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> The answer depends upon your OS and your hardware setup.
>>
>> But, you may have to change jumpers on the drive. There may or may
>> not be documentation with the drive, depending upon how you purchased it
>> (OEM vs. retail package). You either need to be setup as the slave
>> drive, or as cable select. That depends upon the existing drive and
>> cable. Yes, you will have to 'fdisk' it. You will have to create a
>> partition. The exact method depends upon your OS.
>>
>> Yes, you will have to format the drive. It may not be G: however.
>> This depends upon your operating system and how you setup your
>> system and partitioned the drive.
>>
>> It will not all be done because there is no way the manufacturer
>> knows what OS you are using and how you want it partitioned and what
>> file system you want. On the other hand it does not need to be
>> difficult for you to do
>>
>> If you specify the OS you have, what PC you have, how the original
>> drive is jumpered and the type of IDE cable, and what you current
>> partitioning and drive letters are, someone may be able to give you a
>> specific answer.
>>
>> You need to provide more information to get a useful answer.

> Sorry

> it is Win2k sp4

> I have a 30 GB drive labelled as C: G: H:

> I have two CD-ROM's labelled as D: E:

> I bought the hard disk from the company I bought the PC from many years ago. a
> web based retailer (http://www.cclonline.com).

> Yes the new 120GB drive will start at label I: though if possible to avoid
> confusion I would like to start it at J:

You can change that letter in Win2K after you have partitioned and formatted it.

> I was thinking of four 30 GB partitions.

Its generally better not to have lots of partitions per physical drive now.

It will work fine however.

> The current 30 GB disk is obviously the boot disk but I don't know how it is
> linked. I guess as the master.

Yes.

> Assuming hard disks have links on them in the 21 century. Cant they plug and
> play and work it out for themselves.

They can if jumpered for cable select.

Your original drive may or may not be,
depending on how old the system is.

I'd check how the original drive is jumpered, and check that
the new drive is jumpered cable select before you install it.

> Guess not - probably cause more trouble than its worth.

Nope, it is in fact the simplest approach.

> The current 30 GB disk is attached to the end of the ribbon cable and the plug
> is marked master.

> The ribbon cable plug that is in the 'middle' is marked slave.

Thats normal with a modern 80 wire ribbon cable.

> I guess I just use the DOS command box to type fdisk and format J:

Its better done using Disk Management in Win2K.

> are there any switches to the format command that I need?

Nope, and if you do it in disk management it will ask
you to specify the format you want, NTFS or FAT32.

> The disk is just for data.

  • Re: New drive
    ... I will add it to the slave connector and keep my current hdd (which has 3 partitions) as the boot drive. ... Do I then have to format it using the command ... The current 30 GB disk is obviously the boot disk but I don't know how it is linked. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: 9.0-RELEASE amd64 Bricked My Hard Drive
    ... Newer pc's have bios that use gpart format disk partition layouts so for FreeBSD to be compatible with new PC hardware, Bsdinstall defaults to using the gpart format disk partition layouts. ... Bsdinstall provides no automatic way to create format partitions. ... then on same disk pc install 8.2 and reboot. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: ASR cannot restore to larger drive
    ... of the current system disk drive is insufficient, ... to recover the partitions on the original system disk." ... XP boot CD recovery console to format new drive NTFS, ... Each format has been a full ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to format secondary HDD?
    ... when i added a new primary hdd i did not format the original as i wanted to ... I have not tried to format via Disk Management, ... the disk management avenue to format, ... Primary SLAVE DVD ROM ...
  • Re: How to format secondary HDD?
    ... Primary SLAVE DVD ROM ... "Windows cannot format this drive. ... In past experimentation I've used FDISK (from a Windows 98 disk if you ... If there's more than one partition on the disk, ...