Re: what do i need?

In message <1125320401.192785.254960@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, wthomas69@xxxxxxxxx writes
i have a cable modem going into a netgear 4 port wireless router, if i
want to share my broadband internet on 6 or 7 pcs what equipment do i
need to buy (would a hub or switch after the router do it?)any help is
appreciated!!!

If you have windows or similar, then I would suggest that you have:-

1. A non-wireless router (wireless is too slow and insecure).
2. A firewall
3. A hub
4. 7 or 8 PC's

If you decide to connect the firewall to your PC's with a wireless connection, then you don't need a hub.

If you really want wireless (laptops etc) then you can have ethernet + wireless if you are really careful.

--
Jeremy Boden

  • Re: ISA Server and hardware firewalls - which is better
    ... Hub is 10baseT. ... > hub and use ISA server as the firewall etc or use it for caching and use one ... > of these wireless routers with built in firewall. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Well it seemed like a good idea...
    ... I need to add a wireless hub to my LAN. ... Wireless router and the firewall. ... addresses and configured the wireless router using that IP address. ...
    (comp.dcom.lans.ethernet)
  • Re: TOT: computer network question
    ... I think a wireless network would be better with a wireless hub ... slower with the laptop at the other end of the house to wireless hub. ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: BT HomeHub help please
    ... Why would he be using a BT hub on anything other than BT? ... Because I'm with Zen, not BT, CAT5 wired, don't need wireless ... The 2700HGV BT hub gives the 5728000, noise margin 6dB, ... Pity it doesn't support DMT tool. ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • disabling MAC cloning in Wi-Fi
    ... I'm trying to get a hub to play nice with a wi-fi 802.11b/g ... the "Wireless setting utility - Ethernet Adapter Configuration" ... In a multiple IP bridge environment, the ASUS Pocket Wireless AP ... You must disable the MAC cloning feature when you set the device ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)