Re: Fallout 3 and PC piracy

In article <vg3vdw1a4no.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Anssi Saari <as@xxxxxx> wrote:
Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

but it takes somebody with a PIC writer and an SMD soldering station to
get an equivalent result on an Xbox 360.

I thought all you need is plug the console's DVD drive into a PC and
flash new firmware and you're done. But then it's hard to believe
Microsoft wouldn't block such an obvious hole.

The last I heard in this particular arms race, you had to replace a
non-flashable ROM in order to bypass a specific CRC check. But it wouldn't
surprise me to learn that there's a software-only hack now. Some day
Microsoft will figure out that they shouldn't use off-the-shelf IDE and
SATA parts in their game console.

-KKC, hacking USB ports.
--
-- A class action lawsuit has been settled against | kendrick @
Paypal for $3.5 million. Read the full notification | io . com