Re: Fallout 3 and PC piracy

In article <vg3vdw1a4no.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Anssi Saari <as@xxxxxx> wrote:
Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

but it takes somebody with a PIC writer and an SMD soldering station to
get an equivalent result on an Xbox 360.

I thought all you need is plug the console's DVD drive into a PC and
flash new firmware and you're done. But then it's hard to believe
Microsoft wouldn't block such an obvious hole.

The last I heard in this particular arms race, you had to replace a
non-flashable ROM in order to bypass a specific CRC check. But it wouldn't
surprise me to learn that there's a software-only hack now. Some day
Microsoft will figure out that they shouldn't use off-the-shelf IDE and
SATA parts in their game console.

-KKC, hacking USB ports.
--
-- A class action lawsuit has been settled against | kendrick @
Paypal for $3.5 million. Read the full notification | io . com

  • [Full-Disclosure] FW: FEEDBACK: Testing Microsoft and the DMCA
    ... Subject: FEEDBACK: Testing Microsoft and the DMCA ... book about information security and Microsoft Internet Information Services ... Microsoft's Xbox game console. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: OT: COD 4 Online PS3
    ... We always knew the Xbox 360 failure rate was high, ... 360 to Microsoft and possibly get a dirty refurbished unit in return. ... Flag by Windhawk at 04:11 PM on 06/22/07 I got the Thermaltake ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: I was Microsoft Support for 2 Years
    ... Xbox Live, and the kiosk lines of business. ... Every single employee at Microsoft ... quantum leap over what Apple and others were doing at the time. ... But did any of these computers have the same design flaw while they ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Almost Bought an Xbox! lol
    ... of the great Xbox exclusives. ... There were rumor in late 2007 about failure rate being as high as 30%, ... Microsoft has also since taken several steps in the production process ... You also have to consider that Microsoft's hard drives have a unique ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: Almost Bought an Xbox! lol
    ... of the great Xbox exclusives. ... M$ is raping customers with outragerous charges. ... There were rumor in late 2007 about failure rate being as high as 30%, ... Microsoft has also since taken several steps in the production process ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)