Re: Neophyte looking for game for beginner.

Thus spake "Hexe" <greywitche@xxxxxxxxx>, 30 Apr 2006 12:59:07 -0700, Anno
Domini:

What do you mean by turn-based? I'm looking for single player games so
only I know I'm an idiot.

If you listen to CB's advice, blow your money on Oblivion & you'll
definitely feel like an idiot within a few short hours <grin>.

If "The Settlers - HOK" is strategy, I don't want strategy. My sister
had Zelda (may have been the first-ever Zelda) which I enjoyed until I
got to the monsters. I enjoy the questing bits not the fighting bits.

Settlers:HOK is *definitely* a strat game, through & through. I've played
previous versions & the demo for this one & from what I've seen & read,
they've royally screwed the franchise by dumbing it down & removing so much
of what made previous titles great & allowing the consolitis bug to bite
(that's when they develop a game for consoles to cater to the lowest common
denominator of gaming intelligence i.e. the typical console player, with
sub-par IQ & the attention span of a gnat, & then port it across to the PC
with little or no changes to accommodate the totally different platform).

I guess what I am looking for is RPG if my choices are RPG, Strategy or
whatever Adventure is.

I would strongly recommend Vampire The Masquerade:Bloodlines if it wasn't
for the bugs & manual TLC & patching it requires to run properly (are you
fairly PC literate, do you know your way around zip files, folder & files in
general on the PC?). It's got a Vampire theme & touches on all the genres
you mention quite nicely, without getting too bogged down in the rpg stats,
skills & items i.e. you can just play & learn from your mistakes quite
happily. Another similar, slightly older, hybrid is Anachronox, which I
haven't played (except the demo), but many here have praised. Failing that,
download yourself any of Spidersoft's shareware games to get a feel for what
rpgs of old were like: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com
They're free for 1/4-1/3 of the game. I recommend the later Geneforge (1
character) or Avernum 4 (4 chars) - don't worry about playing earlier ones -
they're standalone & explain the history at the start anyway. Good luck &
let us know what appeals or doesn't so we can provide further advice down
the track. ;)

--
Nostromo

  • Re: Giving an application a window icon in a sensible way
    ... guy remaining and interjecting the "idiot" comment at frequent ... I'm not aware of any such game actually being played. ... So by playing these games, ... Communication usually isn't done to oneself, but to a community. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Template Creator for DOS finally available!
    ... Since I'm not involved with Joseph's project - the advice ... game or application specific template. ... presume what GEOS users community needs unless you use GEOS and know what is ... arcade game like space imvaders or centipede. ...
    (comp.sys.cbm)
  • Re: Giving an application a window icon in a sensible way
    ... Some guy says "Einstein, you're an idiot". ... games is that if you walk away from an unfinished game other than in ... I don't really care ... I don't have to defend myself to restore my image in these peoples ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Keep Go games free and dont renew your AGA/GoBase membership!
    ... the play obviously is not so good when it gets to middle game fighting. ... putting all the weight to the pattern recognition. ... it may sound arrogant but /please/ do not offer any advice by ... computers and their programming. ...
    (rec.games.go)
  • Re: People who have played IM ?
    ... Follow advice at your own peril.] ... street player and that *KOZ* is the center of the pinball multiverse. ... punishing 98% of street players to give ... *KOZ* what he wants in a pinball game is entirely counterproductive. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)