Re: Pavilion laptop HD problem

For sure, give up on the old disk. Well, not quite. Do what is necessary to
salvage your data and programs before deep-sixing it.

Given what you've described, it is not likely that you can boot from the disk
and copy everything to a new drive. If that would work, as it soemtimes has for
me when doing service work for clients, it would be ideal.

Otherwise, reinstall the Windows OS fresh on a new hard drive, reinstall ALL
your programs and software updates, then copy your data from the old drive.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 07:11:14 -0500, "jcgc50" <jcgc50@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Have run a diagnostic program provided by the HD mfg, Seagate but at this
>point did not make any repairs.
>
>It identified quite a number of bad sectors. Reason given for each sector
>was either ID not found or uncorrectable data error. It also identified what
>was on each sector and it was the same on all which was hiberfil/sys. It is
>my understanding that this is where files are written when you place the
>notebook in hibernation which I have used.
>
>I did not look at each sector but did many of them and they were all grouped
>together and everyone I looked at indicated the same files.
>
>It seems to me that it should be safe to let those file be overwritten by
>the diagnostic software, any thoughts?
>
>To give some background. A few days ago I ran XP's defrag. When it was about
>half finished I paused it and when I did that everything moved extremely
>slowly. Finally, I stopped the program from finishing and then decided to
>restart.
>
>It shut down but could not access the disc. I tried some boot disk but could
>not get to a point where I could see my C drive and eventually I used Norton
>Ghost with an external HD to restore an image. Unfortunately that image was
>2/05 so it was not current and I spent a lot of time getting everything back
>on here.
>
>Having learned the hardway the importance of backing up I am now trying to
>make a fresh image and that it was has led to this.
>
>The computer has worked fine since restoring the image.
>
>So the questions are. Should I fix the disk, or give up and get a new one?
>If I decide to fix the disk do you see any problem with the system running
>properly if the only files effected are those I mentioned?
>
>Jim

  • Re: Bad sector
    ... you'll want to check automatically Fix... ... You may have to re-install your program if there is really a bad sector ... "Earl Grey" wrote: ... Download and run the disk diagnostic program available from the web ...
  • Re: SortMerge avoids thrashing (was: Baileys "two pass" FFT algorithm question)
    ... of size that match the backing store to assure locality of reference. ... For RAM backed by disk, the key thing which takes the most time is ... you need to localize sector reads within that one ... Sweeps your RAM once when you load original data from disk. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: SP2 Very Very bad for me
    ... > How is the image (which is a compressed sector by sector thing?) used ... It says it will partition, format and recover all the disk ... but did'nt say how it was putting the data on the disk. ... It does not need to restore to an identical ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP Pro Recovery Errors
    ... it turns out that the boot sector, sector 0, of my HDD failed to "read, write, or remove write-protection." ... Hard drives, when they have a problem with a sector, mark it as "pending". ... So if you do something to write to the disk, and write sector zero, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: FUD about CGD and GBDE
    ... > a sector that has been rewritten. ... zone, otherwise it would expose the remaining sectors is the zone. ... contents and regular data written to the disk by the user. ... > possible to determine this fairly quickly using traffic analysis. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)