Re: Microsoft vs CBM

"Joseph Fenn" wrote ...

> Does anyone remember that Microsoft was contracted by CBM years back
> to write the first DOS version used in CBM machines? Also do you
> remember how MS did the job, but hid deep within the DOS the fact
> that Bill Gates and Microsoft created it. This almost resulted in
> Microsoft being sued in court by CBM since CBM owned the finished
> product and the hidden I.D. was not apropo!!! I can remember if
> CBM did actually sue MS or if it was settled our of court! But
> it did happen.

That was discussed in depth in this newsgroup a few years ago (and in less
detail more recently). If you can't find it in the archives, perhaps there
might be something about it in Cameron's excellent history of Commodore.

http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/ckb/secret/history.html

IIRC, basically (pun might be intended :-)), Bill hid an Easter egg in a
version of Basic MS did for CBM. Jack was pissed when he found it. IIRC
Jack threatened to sue Bill but never actually did.
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

  • Re: Microsoft vs CBM
    ... >to write the first DOS version used in CBM machines? ... >that Bill Gates and Microsoft created it. ...
    (comp.sys.cbm)
  • Microsoft vs CBM
    ... Does anyone remember that Microsoft was contracted by CBM years back ... to write the first DOS version used in CBM machines? ... CBM did actually sue MS or if it was settled our of court! ...
    (comp.sys.cbm)