Re: Write Signal on Disk II Question

Right, but each "1" shows up as a 1us pulse on the read data line.

On my computer, I need ~650ns to read from the parallel port.
This means that I can't read the signal from an original Disk II
reliably if it don't process it.
But while I was experimenting with modern 3.5 '' drives on the Apple
(I just finished it) it found out that the pulse can be much longer
(3µs) without problems. So I would use a monoflop to make the pulse
~2µs long so that I can read it without problems.
But: According to "Understanding the Apple ][" the problem in
detecting more than 2 adjacent zero bits is not in the controller, but
in the drive. If that is true (I could test it - my 3.5'' drives CAN
read more zeroes). We're not improving anything if we're thinking
about other controllers.
And if a copy protected disk works using the Disk ][ controller card
it CAN be read. If it can't be copied this can't really be the
controller's problem.

  • Re: [opensuse] Recover Linux Raid 0 with 2x2port 3Ware Raid 1 cards
    ... HP server with the onboard RAID controller. ... Meaning lucky the special spare drive wasn't lost or damaged in all the time it was sitting around, and the thing that broke was a thing you had a spare of. ... you could even go down to the 24 hour grocery store and buy 10 16G usb thumb drives to replace a dead 146G scsi disk. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Filesystem, RAID Question
    ... The card bios found the drives and allowed me to setup in RAID 5. ... However a 3 disk RAID5 is the worst performing RAID5 setup you can create. ... Just take the default stripe size the array controller presents you with -- it will be appropriate for this sort of mixed file sizes. ... The first thing to consider is what sort of IO caching strategy your ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: IMSAI 8" floppy disk system manual/schematics?
    ... I have been able to fix the computer, but unable to get the drives to ... Does anyone have a manual or schematics for the disk system? ... controller card, but no schematics. ... I also have manuals for many floppy drives, ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Need Suggestons on SCSI drives "not ready"
    ... I have a client running SCO 5.0.5 with DPT 3754U2 RAID ... controller with two disks in RAID1. ... But the problem is the two Seagate 140G 15K cheetah drives. ... since the disk is SCSI and won't respond to the ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: 3B2 Disks
    ... being able to read the disk in its present format. ... 2 MFM drives on a custom controller. ... SCSI came much later as an add on card. ...
    (comp.sys.3b1)