Re: Router loses server
- From: Riscos <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:47:28 +0100
In article <504184a51fmdharding@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Michael Harding <mdharding@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In article <504181d83fdave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Dave Plowman (News) <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If there is a problem with only the ASDL side - which uses
additional equipment at the exchange - they will only check that
on a request from your service provider, as it's charged for if
no fault found.
That's exactly what I've found. BT (my landline provider) has
checked the phone line at my request and declared it OK. But it
will not check an ADSL line, though I've asked them, without
authorisation by an ISP.
In the case of my next-door neighbour, he contacted his ISP (BT)
and they found there was a fault on his ADSL line. They sent out an
engineer who denied there was a fault, but it mysteriously had
cured itself. Nevertheless the engineer replaced the master socket.
It's some time since people were kindly advising me how to check my
system to diagnose this problem of intermittent broadband.
To let you know the outcome . . .
I reluctantly changed to BT (so that they couldn't dodge the issue)
but only for the minimum time possible. They were actually very
helpful, once I'd convinced them that e.g. a connection directly to
the master socket avoided the need for individual filters (thanks for
that tip! it gave me street cred.)
After a number of conversations with people in India speaking English
ranging from impeccable to impossible, they sent an engineer. The line
gratifyingly played up while he was here, and he traced the fault to a
main connection between our local distribution cabinet and the
exchange. He swapped my connection - do they play musical chairs with
my old one?! - and came back a few days later to swap those of two
neighbours, including the one already 'OK' which had since failed.
It now seems rock-solid, albeit as slow as before (half a megabit).
The only other aggro was in having to set up the connection manually
for BT and having to RTFM for Pluto and Netfetch2 (needed for BT since
it demands a security password).
I admit I may have shot myself in the foot in simultaneously acquiring
a domain in several flavours, to assist later migration from BT,
instead of changing only one variable at a time.
So, many thanks for all your combined help.
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Prev by Date: Re: sending email and news
- Next by Date: sending email and news <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Previous by thread: Subject/References header breakage (was Re: sending email and news + two message IDs)