Re: FAT16 or FAT32 USB pens, how to differentiate?

On 12 Nov 2005 <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <0a9f60c84d.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> says...
>> On 10 Nov 2005 Chris Evans <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> So next question is. Which if any disc sector editors can be used on the
>>> four different USB interfaces available to RISC OS users?
>>
>> Well !Commander locked the machine up when unavoidably pointed at a non
>> existant drive while changing the entry fields, so I ran !DiscEd from Disc
>> Rescue under Aemulor.
>
> Tut tut! A non-existant disc. How can you fault the s/w?

Well if the only method to change the filing system and drive numbers are
bump icons, there is no way to change between ADFS with :0, :4 and :5, and
SCSIFS with :2 without going through an invalid drive number on one of the
filing systems.

>> FAT16 can go up to 2GB, but larger storage cards are often formatted as
>> FAT32 for greater storage granularity, and to remove the low limit to the
>> number of files that can be stored in the root directory.
>
> Small cards/drives (ie: 64-128MB) can be formatted to any FS you want. The
> fact is that most OS's now expect FAT32 or NTFS.

Nothing I know of uses NTFS on a storage card, its increadbly wasteful for
small drives, and will break if removed without correct dismounting.

> It's the Acorn FS that has not kept up. Tell me a modern day OS that
> cannot read a FAT 32 FS.

Well use a modern version of RISC OS. RISC OS 5 has supported FAT32 for a
year or more.

---druck