Re: FAT16 or FAT32 USB pens, how to differentiate?

On 12 Nov 2005 <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <0a9f60c84d.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> says...
>> On 10 Nov 2005 Chris Evans <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> So next question is. Which if any disc sector editors can be used on the
>>> four different USB interfaces available to RISC OS users?
>>
>> Well !Commander locked the machine up when unavoidably pointed at a non
>> existant drive while changing the entry fields, so I ran !DiscEd from Disc
>> Rescue under Aemulor.
>
> Tut tut! A non-existant disc. How can you fault the s/w?

Well if the only method to change the filing system and drive numbers are
bump icons, there is no way to change between ADFS with :0, :4 and :5, and
SCSIFS with :2 without going through an invalid drive number on one of the
filing systems.

>> FAT16 can go up to 2GB, but larger storage cards are often formatted as
>> FAT32 for greater storage granularity, and to remove the low limit to the
>> number of files that can be stored in the root directory.
>
> Small cards/drives (ie: 64-128MB) can be formatted to any FS you want. The
> fact is that most OS's now expect FAT32 or NTFS.

Nothing I know of uses NTFS on a storage card, its increadbly wasteful for
small drives, and will break if removed without correct dismounting.

> It's the Acorn FS that has not kept up. Tell me a modern day OS that
> cannot read a FAT 32 FS.

Well use a modern version of RISC OS. RISC OS 5 has supported FAT32 for a
year or more.

---druck

  • Re: RISC OS VFS replacement?
    ... I've certainly run into trouble trying to move around 6GB disc images. ... RISC OS API, its going to be going through UnixLib so whats ... IDE controller knows about sector addresses. ... year or few PATA drives will start to disappear. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.hardware)
  • Re: NAS drive and LANMan98
    ... can RO 4.02 cope with a 200GB disc? ... Also it's FAT32 formatted ... There should be no problem about sizes, as RISC OS doesn't get to know how ... 'give me the 512 bytes stored at sector 23554435', where on large drives the ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)
  • Re: NAS drive and LANMan98
    ... can RO 4.02 cope with a 200GB disc? ... Also it's FAT32 formatted ... There should be no problem about sizes, as RISC OS doesn't get to know how ... 'give me the 512 bytes stored at sector 23554435', where on large drives the ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)
  • Re: Removing RISC OS formatting data from USB stick
    ... a way to remove the formatting data. ... If I partition to FAT32 (using ... gparted under Ubuntu) the disc still contains the RISC OS information. ... RISC OS when using SCSIFS. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)