Re: "Device not ready" (CDBurn)

In article <4de61c472fmiyuki@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Chika <miyuki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <4de60b036djohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In article <4de6054bb4steve.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> > Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Monitor the incidences of malware on your system before and
> > > after. Work colleagues have done this and discovered exactly
> > > the same effect I did - malware down to nil so far. (and
> > > that's after many months of use)
> >
> > ...that sounds good to me, and indeed better than I expected:
> > my guess was that Firefox would reduce malware infection, but
> > the underlying OS (much of which is apparently tied-in with the
> > browser's code) would still allow some bad stuff through.

> Firefox will stop mostly anything that attempts to get in using
> ActiveX, and will also stop a few other types that tend to get in
> using flaws in IE but it isn't foolproof.

That's what I had heard. Pity, really.

> I've even seen some folks pushing Opera as an alternative to both
> IE and Firefox for the given reason that it isn't as vulnerable
> to attack but, IMHO, it is better to assume that no browser is
> totally invulnerable to malware.

Sadly, that appears to be the only safe assumption.

> > I think I might have to find a way to disable it altogether, as
> > there are now very few sites that I might need to visit that
> > won't work with Firefox (the occasional school site, for
> > example).

> There are still quite a few government sites, especially
> centrally, that are IE only. I'm one of a handful of folk that
> uses Firefox at work, but I still have to revert to IE for a few
> things, if only because I have to be able to test sites where a
> user will need to get at it with IE.

It'll be interesting if, one day soon, the opposite effect starts to
occur: some sites work fine with Firefox but /not/ in IE...

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!

  • Re: "Device not ready" (CDBurn)
    ... Work colleagues have done this and discovered exactly the ... > guess was that Firefox would reduce malware infection, ... Firefox will stop mostly anything that attempts to get in using ActiveX, ... I've even seen some folks pushing Opera as an ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.advocacy)
  • Re: IE8 memory hog?
    ... and most importantly, more secure browsers. ... IMO Firefox ... is don't be so fast to trash IE8 as you might have other issues. ... well be malware despite your belief that your computer is malware free. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: IE8 memory hog?
    ... and most importantly, more secure browsers. ... IMO Firefox ... is don't be so fast to trash IE8 as you might have other issues. ... obviously you have something loaded in your browser and it may well be malware despite your belief that your computer is malware free. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: A Very Nasty Malware Infecdtion on My Computer
    ... This malware changes its name depending on your operating system - ... Consider switching from Firefox to Chrome. ... Whatever browser you use, ... Download Microsoft Offline Defender (formerly Microsoft System ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Aurora popups
    ... > When using Firefox or IE, ... You have malware on your computer. ... running HijackThis and posting your log on one of the recommended fora ... System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup ...