Re: OOPS in matlab
- From: "per isakson" <poi.nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:18:02 +0000 (UTC)
"kk KKsingh" <akikumar1983@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message <ho26gn$ibo$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>...
"kk KKsingh" <akikumar1983@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message <ho167k$soa$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>...
> What is advantage of using OOPS style in matlab......should i shift my coding style to oops type....I have done oops style in java before...but java libraries are big so doing oops in it makes sense what about in matlab ?
> > And can you recommend any book! A Guide to MATLAB Object-Oriented Programming 2007 deals with old classes, reviews in amazon doesnot seems very positive .......
> > > Few people from academics say that OOPS doesnot make sense in matlab...i never got their point....
> > > Thanks
> > KK
Whole question is do u think adopting oops in matlab is a good thing ! will it will make matlab codes better usable !
The Mathworks seems to think OOP is a good idea
1. They have added this new support for OOP although there was little(?) demand from the users
2. I found 508 files in my Matlab R2009b installation, which contain the word "classdef" (university license, a dozen+ toolboxes)
I try to learn and use OOP with Matlab without previous experience of OOP. That is both frustrating and rewarding. Some points:
1. OOP is not for small "use once or twice and forget" programs. Many user programs belong to this category.
2. Matlab has some support for functional programming, FP. FP is better than OOP for some constructs. 3. Matlab is dynamic and most texts on Design Patterns (e.g GOF) target compiled languages. See http://norvig.com/design-patterns/.
4. There is no book on OOP/D with (the new) Matlab - I'm quite sure. 5. The Matlab documentation avoids design. The string, "Design Pattern", doesn't appear but in the titles of a couple of references. 6. The Mathworks are very slow to build a "standard" library - will they ever do that? 7. OOP is not frequent neither here in the newsgroup nor in the FEX
8. IMO: OOP should be used in somewhat larger applications, which will be used for years /per
- Re: OOPS in matlab
- From: kk KKsingh
- Re: OOPS in matlab
- Prev by Date: Edit text box GUI
- Next by Date: Re: Edit text box GUI
- Previous by thread: Re: OOPS in matlab
- Next by thread: Re: OOPS in matlab