Re: Assign each Matlab instance to each CORE of a Dual Core Proc ?

I saw some previous discussion on the reporting of the usage of 2
logical CPUs at :
<http://newsreader.mathworks.com/WebX/.eed281a?50@@>

For them , this discussion on the observation that Dual Core 930's
Core 0 is being used to about 60 %, and Core 1 to about 40 %, may be
useful ?

[Peter has already answered on the Affinity setting for any
Application in the Task Mgr.]

Even though Thermal Failure problems of Intel's Dual Core processors
is not a direct topic for this forum, since it still relates to Dual
Core Procs, I will be interested to know if/how others, who for eg,
run multiple instances of prime95 continuously, have solved it for
100 % Continuous Duty, at an ambient of about 32 Deg C.

Rgds

Sundar Krishnan

Sundar Krishnan wrote:

5th July, 2006 :
Pl consider the International Pgm on Mersenne Prime No search :
"prime95" as an example. This was the trigger for the curiosity.

It is possible to assign each instance of prime95 to either Core 0
or
Core 1 of the Dual Core Intel 930 Proc. I have tried assigning even
2
instances to each Core.

Now to yr question : why would anyone want to fiddle with the
Allocation ? I give this answer for the benefit of other readers,
specially on the request of Dan Pierce.

Ans : I can't go into full length of my experiments-research here ;
suffice it to say that at least in the 930 piece that I have, I
have
found after lots of tests, that Core 0 is given a slightly higher
load.
[Don't know if this is by Intel's Design intention, or just a
random
property - of my 930 piece - if so, is it a defect of the piece
that
the loading is NOT exactly 50 % ? - Not sure ?]

So, when I regularly run 2 instances of prime95, I have purposely
allocated both prime95 instances to run on Core 1 ; my other User
Pgms like any Browsing, Word, Excel, PPTs, watching Football on
Videos, other Recursive calculations etc will then automatically
run
on Core 0 - the 930's Scheduler will ensure this, since with 2
instances of prime95, Core 1 is already running at 100 % of it's
own
(Performance) loading. You can see all this in the Task Manager.

*********

  • Re: Assign each Matlab instance to each CORE of a Dual Core Proc ?
    ... Pl consider the International Pgm on Mersenne Prime No search: ... "prime95" as an example. ... Core 1 of the Dual Core Intel 930 Proc. ... Matlab instance can be run on a "selected core" of the Dual Core. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Slight File Corruption?
    ... The chipset is usually rated to around 99C for an upper limit ... I am not normally stressing the core so these earlier file errors are not due to the core temperature. ... Prime95 doesn't know what happened. ... memory error, it could be an error coming from the FPU. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Strange Prime95 stress test behaviour
    ... I ran prime95 and it starts and runs 2 workers on the Core 2 Duo. ... running Task Manager shows only 1 core busy! ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Multithreaded GC!
    ... .NET test app which uses 50% of 1 core for the GC. ... Even though the current garbage collector implementation in .NET is ... every allocation by your main thread ...
  • Re: Multithreaded GC!
    ... .NET test app which uses 50% of 1 core for the GC. ... every allocation by your main thread must be ... register on another CPU). ...