Re: difference between a real-time kernel and an RTOS

Ian Bell wrote:
Some people distinguish between those two, however, I have not found a very clear
distinction. Some RKs provide drivers, some RTOSs not. Some RKs are nano
some are bigger than some 'nano' system labeled RTOS.

I think it is generally accepted that the kernel is the part responsible for task switching and possibly interrupt handling. Any additional services provided, like messaging and queues make it more like an OS.

I also think that is the difference between the two. If you look at VxWorks you can see this quite clearly: VxWorks (the RTOS) has the WIND kernel as its core and all kind of other OS stuff around it.

Kind regards,
        Johan

--
       o o o o o o o . . .   _____J_o_h_a_n___B_o_r_k_h_u_i_s___
      o      _____           ||    http://www.borkhuis.com     |
   _/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo   ooo  'o!o!o                      o!o!o`
== VxWorks-page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html ==
.