ntpd CPU utilisation issue on FreeBSD 8.3

Colleagues,

I've been trying without success to update four FreeBSD 8.2 Sure GPS PPS boxes to FreeBSD 8.3 (to keep in life).

So, I have pulled the old discs out of one box, installed new discs, and built this up using the kind words of http:// blog.doylenet.net/?p=145 as a reference. I have built all four of my version 8.2 boxes with this script and all are working fine with the ntp-devel port (4.2.7p255 I think). CPU utilisation is 3-4% on one of the four cores.

Using this exact same script, only FreeBSD 8.3, I am getting 100% CPU utilisation on a core. This is not good. So I have trawled Google and looked all around and I am only finding a vague reference to IPV6 in the kernel causing this bug.

I have been using the same ntp.conf and rc.conf configurations on all servers old and new.

Maybe someone on this list has some suggestions, as I want to be keeping these four time servers out of EOL?

Thanks for the helping hands,

Ron

  • /etc/resolv.conf getting over written with dhcp
    ... FreeBSD shastry.eudaemonicsystems.net 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE ... nameserver 208.67.222.222 ... Digging further, was looking at the scripts under /etc/rc.d, found /etc/rc.d/named to be another script creating the /etc/resolv.conf and this was in the routine named_precmd. ... rm -f $tmpres ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: trouble with a script
    ... Your snippet of code doesn't look like sh on FreeBSD. ... Basically, I want my script to prompt me for two inputs, then append to ... The user input would be "domain.com", ... is how we set up a client's site on our servers. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: sysrc -- a sysctl(8)-like utility for managing /etc/rc.conf et. al.
    ... If you had to administer thousands of FreeBSD systems, ... serviceclearly doesn't do what this script does. ... I check for the presence of them with $PATH expansion. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: trouble with a script
    ... Your snippet of code doesn't look like sh on FreeBSD. ... Basically, I want my script to prompt me for two inputs, then append to ... The user input would be "domain.com", ... is how we set up a client's site on our servers. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: trouble with a script
    ... freeBSD servers by writing a script. ... Your snippet of code doesn't look like sh on FreeBSD. ... Basically, I want my script to prompt me for two inputs, then append to ...
    (comp.unix.shell)