Re: demonstrate traceability to UTC

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Tom <tom_e_tek@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To All,

How do you demonstrate the traceability of the NTP solution to BIPM
UTC?

For "hard" tracability, you really need your own reference clock
(typically GPS) that you control, along with several internet based
sources as a sanity check against it.

If you don't want a reference clock, but want "tracable" time from
internet-based sources, you need to use some form of NTP
authentication. Typically, this means sharing a "signing" key with at
least one (more are better) upstream servers run by organizations that
are known to provide good time tracable to UTC. The NTP Autokey
protocol was designed to do this without sharing secrets, but is not
widely used, and does not work if there is network address translation
involved.

Is this a regulatory requirement? If so, what nation/regulation are we
talking about? Some may require the use of a local reference clock of
some type.

In the USA, for eample, you may be able to get authenticated time
directly from NIST:
http://tf.nist.gov/service/auth_ntp.htm

--
RPM

  • Re: Time Syncronisation
    ... up once and (unless your selected servers all go out of business) ... > local ntp server, which in turn syncronizes with more precise machines. ... I think you've misunderstood what a "reference clock" is. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: NTP Performance on WINNT
    ... I did some experiments to test NTP performance on WINNT. ... I check the log file and found the offset value ... The best is the system Feenix with a local GPS serial and PPS ... reference clock where the offset is within ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Meinberg software running under Vista/Windows 2008
    ... I think a lot of this happens because people don't understand how NTP ... looks at the time on some network server then zaps the system clock so ... comparing the local clock to some reference clock and then doing it ... Bottom line is that manually jumping the system clock by 120 seconds ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: SNTP server + ntpd 4.2.4 client
    ... its clock is disciplined by means external to NTP. ... For example, by a reference clock. ... necessarily be NTP servers; there are other ways to use them to ... SNTP client polling a local refclock at some suitably short interval, ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)