Kermit newsgroup, etc

Columbia University is retiring its newsfeeds effective Monday,
17 July 2006. This means:

. The newsgroup archives on our FTP site will stop there,
in case anybody cares.

ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/newsgroups

. I'll be using Google Groups from now on to both read and post,
as I suppose most of you already do. Therefore I might not
notice some queries as "instantaneously" as before. And we
will all have to put up with the fractured formatting that
results from Google trying to squeeze content designed for 76
columns (as in this carefully-formatted posting) in the narrow
space between all its ads and navigation tools(*). The Kermit
newsgroup is here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.protocols.kermit.misc

and up til now Google has been good about archiving; let's
hope they don't pull the plug on netnews as well.

(*) It looks a little better if you maximize your browser window.

Meanwhile, in case anybody tried the "photoalbum" script announced
recently with C-Kermit 8.0.212 Dev.20 and found it wanting in
certain areas, I've made some improvements. E.g. Now it can have
three levels of images: thumbnail, browser-sized, and full-size.
Each page behind the thumbnails shows the image pre-reduced to
fit in the average browser window, so the browser doesn't have to
download the full-size image (painful on slow connections) and
then scale it. If you click on this one, THEN you get the big one.

http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/photoalbum.html
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckdaily.html
http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/museum/

Quiz: what are all those things in the pictures?

The script actually pretty useful, at least it save *me* a lot of
time. All the resizing, including production of thumbnails, by
the way, depends on ImageMagick 'convert':

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-processing.php

which is available for both Unix and Windows (I haven't tried it
myself on Windows, so the script might need some adjustment; if
anybody does this, let me know).

Coming soon... CGI Programming in Kermit!

- Frank

  • Re: Script taking longer than expected to complete: Consequences?
    ... If the user closes the browser window, the script will continue to run on ... Once the request is made to the server, ... > Dim sql ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general)
  • Re: Is there a small change that will make this work differently?
    ... It doesn't detect screen resolution, it looks at the width of the browser window in a manner suitable only for IE and browsers that copy its event model and window object API. ... To detect the width of the browser window using script, read about viewport properties at quirksmode: ... You can then include stylesheets for a variety of devices and the client can decide which one to use. ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Re: [PHP] Closing a connection to browser without exiting the script
    ... display your message in the original browser window, launch a new browser window for the processing script, have the window set behind the first with javascript. ... When your script is finished, have it output javascript that closes the "processing" window. ... I have a PHP page that displays a message, and then, performs a very ... what I would like is to be able to close the connection from ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: How best to highlight an an item...
    ... stuff depending on the vertical size of their browser window. ... a company clerk somewhere in the world will be ... _very_ heavy night and a bit more help for him would be nice. ... about or find a js script to do the job. ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: Another positioning issue
    ... an entirely separate issue so I'm putting it in a separate thread. ... gallery of thumbnails. ... Assuming the user's browser window is wide enough or is happy about ... Even horizontal scrolling cannot get to see it in my ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets)