Re: hardware requirements per hits

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Alans<batpower83@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
@Matus: let me put it in this way, if I want to create a budget for next
year for example, then I should know what upgrades I need for next year
(estimated needs), and let's assume dns queries increase monthly by x hits,
now, if I know how many hits will make me upgrade cpu and memory then I can
find out my cpu and memory needs for next year, hope this explain to you why
my question is not "usless", at least for me.
I'll be happy if you tell me another way to know my needs for next year.

I'm assuming you already have a running DNS server? In that case I'd
simply gather stats from it. What kind of hardware it currently has,
how much is current CPU and disk load, how many queries per second it
currently serves, etc. Based on that you can have a rough estimate as
to what you'd need to upgrade.

Here are some pointers from my experience though:
- syslog query logging is expensive. NEVER enable it. If you need to
log client queries, log it directly to file instead.
- disk I/O can be a serious bottleneck. If that's the case consider
disable logging.
- BIND would generally work better with faster CPU compared to
multiple CPUs/cores, e.g. 1 x 3GHZ CPU could outperform 2 x 1.5GHz
CPU.
- memory cache can speedup things to a point. Try allocating about
2-4G when you're handing lots of clients.

Those are very general pointers though, YMMV. You might find it easier
to simply add aonther server instead of upgrading.

--
Fajar

  • Re: hardware requirements per hits
    ... Or are the new clients looking up *different* names than the old ones? ... What about the option of buying more servers as volume increases, rather than trying to upgrade the existing servers? ... , and let's assume dns queries increase monthly by x hits, ... find out my cpu and memory needs for next year, hope this explain to you why ...
    (comp.protocols.dns.bind)
  • Re: Speed improvement?
    ... Run windows' disk cleanup (right click on a drive letter from Windows ... First hardware upgrade I would make would be to bump the memory to 2 ... I *keep* the drives fairly clean. ... All I know *so far* is that CPU usage goes to 99% and 100% once the ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Planned Weekend Gaming (PWG 02/12/2011)
    ... I'm currently overclocking the thing to 3.2 on the stock cooler, ... with temp monitoring on all night the peak is around 63C for all 4 ... of mammoth CPU cooler is obviously a neccessity. ... NOT spend loads of money on an upgrade. ...
    (uk.games.video.misc)
  • Heads up Alpha and Storage information - Ok for External use
    ... upgrade an AlphaServer GS1280 Model 16 to an AlphaServer GS1280 Model ... Installation involves transfer of CPU modules, ... These new parts bring the buying process for the instant Capacity ... Order and install iCAP CPU modules along with Full Use CPUs. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: 754 or 939?
    ... two years or I can get a 939 that in two years, I can upgrade the CPU, ... My thinking will become much clearer when the Vista public beta comes out ... I have an AGP card now, and it supports Aero Glass, ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)