Re: Context Switch Time

On Dec 4, 7:25 pm, Chris Friesen <cbf...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
llothar wrote:
On Dec 4, 2:40 pm, Dmitriy Vyukov <dvyu...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2.4 GHz P4 - so it's about 650 ns
Surprisingly low when i remember all this FUD from the Linux side
telling me that scheduling on Windows sucks.

This measurement is for thread context switch. Traditionally the big
difference has been in process context switch times.

Also, "scheduling sucks" can be much more than just context switch
times. You also need to look at *what* is being scheduled.

Chris

Windows NT primarily (and only) schedules threads, not processes.

  • Re: Context Switch Time
    ... telling me that scheduling on Windows sucks. ... This measurement is for thread context switch. ... "scheduling sucks" can be much more than just context switch ... process, you don't need to reload the MMU context or force a TLB flush, ...
    (comp.programming.threads)
  • Re: Quation about HZ kernel option
    ... instructions per scheduling quantum. ... And in that case a context switch happens anyway, ... Oliver Fromme, secnetix GmbH & Co. KG, Marktplatz 29, 85567 Grafing b. ... Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, Geschäftsfuehrung: ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: subroutines as separate files
    ... James Giles wrote: ... >>implying. ... >>call scheduling another thread in the same ... that do a full context switch on procedure calls, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Context Switch Time
    ... telling me that scheduling on Windows sucks. ... Traditionally the big difference has been in process context switch times. ... "scheduling sucks" can be much more than just context switch times. ...
    (comp.programming.threads)
  • Re: Context Switch Time